Sunday, August 19, 2012

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the Internet...

...I wonder if this new Blu-ray/DVD combination pack of SUDDENLY (1954) looks anywhere as good as the Lobster Films digital restoration I saw at the Noir City Festival last spring? Loved the movie. This release is due September 25th.

...Maureen O'Hara turned 92 last Friday! Here's a revisit of my 2010 birthday tribute.

...I love learning about movie locations, so I thought it was really neat that Raquelle and her husband Carlos found the famous beach seen in FROM HERE TO ETERNITY (1952) while on their recent Hawaiian honeymoon! She has some great photos at Out of the Past.

...Raquelle also recently reviewed A PATCH OF BLUE (1965) with Sidney Poitier, which sounds quite interesting. I DVR'd it earlier this month, I just need time to watch it now!

...At Immortal Ephemera, I enjoyed Cliff's recent column, "First Impressions of Five Movies." I'm glad I could recommend YOU WERE NEVER LOVELIER (1942) to Cliff!

...Coming from VCI: the 20th Century-Fox WWII film THE FIGHTING SULLIVANS (1944). The VCI site says it will be out October 2nd, while Amazon says November 6th.

...I mentioned this title cards site in my review of THE WORLD IN HIS ARMS (1952), but it bears repeating. Thanks to Toby for pointing it out.

...Recent reviews by Glenn Erickson at DVD Savant include Gene Kelly in THE CROSS OF LORRAINE (1943) and Tyrone Power and Loretta Young in SUEZ (1938). They're releases from the Warner Archive and the Fox Cinema Archives, respectively.

...Earlier this year I saw SUNSET BOULEVARD (1950) and A PLACE IN THE SUN (1951) at the Bay Theatre in Seal Beach, California. I was sorry to learn this week that the Bay, which has been in operation since 1947, has closed, at least for the moment.

...Based on a recent discussion at 50 Westerns From the 50s, I need to check out more films with Rory Calhoun! Fortunately I just ordered his film WAY OF A GAUCHO (1952) on sale.

...Mark recently reviewed LOOPHOLE (1954), with Barry Sullivan, Dorothy Malone, and Charles McGraw, at Where Danger Lives...Kristina caught John Payne and Gail Russell in EL PASO (1949), reviewed at Speakeasy...FilmsNoir.Net reviews Deanna Durbin and Gene Kelly in CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY (1944), which was also recently seen by Lou Lumenick...and Kevin checked out THE DARK CORNER (1946) and has posted his review at Kevin's Movie Corner.

...I also enjoyed this batch of mini-reviews from John at Greenbriar Picture Shows, especially as I just saw -- and liked -- my first George O'Brien "B" Western. I've got to check out HARMON OF MICHIGAN (1941), sounds fun!

...Attention Southern Californians: next month the venerable Cinerama Dome on Sunset Boulevard will celebrate the 60th anniversary of Cinerama with screenings of THIS IS CINERAMA (1956), HOW THE WEST WAS WON (1962), and more. Here's the schedule.

...The Robert Wagner series IT TAKES A THIEF, previously released on DVD only in a pricey "complete series" set, is going to have a standalone release of Season 1 on DVD this October 2nd.

...Thanks to Mel for the link to this great series of photos of Hitchcock's cameo appearances!

...Tragic news breaking late tonight, the suicide of director Tony Scott, brother of Ridley Scott. I most recently enjoyed Tony Scott's film UNSTOPPABLE (2010).

...Notable Passings: Los Angeles philanthropist Veronique Peck, the widow of Gregory Peck, has passed on at the age of 80...Actor William Windom, a staple on TV for decades, has died at the age of 88. His 1969-70 TV series MY WORLD AND WELCOME TO IT is one of my early TV memories. Later, as a teenager, I saw his one-man show THURBER on stage at the La Mirada Civic Theatre.

Have a great week!

8 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

Thanks for sharing that info on the 60th Anniversary Cinerama fest. What a lineup. How often are those films shown at the Dome like that?

5:15 AM  
Blogger DKoren said...

I really want to see How the West was Won and Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. We'll see how it goes!

Aww, always liked William Windom. Like you said, a staple of TV for decades. And wow on the Tony Scott news. That's a shocker.

7:41 AM  
Blogger Kristina said...

Laura thanks so much as always for the kind mention, I really appreciate it! wow the cinerama "fest" looks like fun! thanks for collecting and sharing all these interesting items every week. All the best!!

9:15 AM  
Blogger Jim Lane said...

Will you be at any of those Cinerama screenings, Laura? If so, I hope we get a chance to meet in person. The Dome'll be my HAFH that first weekend Sept. 28-30; I'll be at the first screenings of South Seas Adventure, Cinerama Holiday, How the West Was Won, Brothers Grimm, Search for Paradise, Seven Wonders of the World, Mad, Mad World and This Is Cinerama. I've got "sweet seat" tickets way down front in Row DD.

I'm doing a series of posts over at Cinedrome commemorating the 60th anniversary; hope you've had a chance to check them out so far (more to come!).

Tom, something in Cinerama screens about once a year at the Dome, but I believe this is the first time all seven features will be there at one time.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Doesn't the Cinerama Fest look neat? Jim, I'd love to be there and meet you, and I'd especially like to see HOW THE WEST WAS WON. Not certain yet if I can swing it due to some other things on the calendar. If I get a ticket I'll drop you a line!

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! It's such fun to find all these neat things to share each week. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

11:11 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

Jim, thanks for your advice.

I'm starting to get tickets for some of the Friday-Sunday films; with the exception of Mad Mad World (which is sold out for the Sunday, Sept. 30 show), tickets are still available for the other weekend shows.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Jim Lane said...

Tom, Laura: If we do wind up at one or more of the same screenings, I'll be the guy in row DD with a copy of the souvenir program (I have one or more for all of them except Mad, Mad World). Be sure to say hi!

2:09 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

Jim - Neat! Yes, I'd love to see what the original programs look like. I'll also be in DD for Search for Paradise and 7 Wonders (will be in CC for How the West Was Won, and AA for This is Cinerama and Brothers Grimm). Can't wait!

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older