Sunday, October 07, 2012

Thanks for Everything, Sheriff John

I felt a real pang yesterday when I learned of the passing of one of my childhood television heroes, Sheriff John.


Like my other childhood favorites of the late '60s, Mr. Rogers and Mr. Green Jeans, Sheriff John was reassuring, conveying the message that the world was a good and interesting place. He gently reinforced patriotism and religious faith by leading children in the Pledge of Allegiance and saying grace at lunchtime.

And of course, there was this song, imprinted on the minds of thousands of California children:



John Rovick was a WWII veteran who portrayed Sheriff John from 1952 to 1970, a significant portion of his over three decades working at KTTV Los Angeles. He was 93 when he passed on yesterday.

Kevin Roderick also pays tribute at L.A. Observed.

Thanks and God bless you, Sheriff John.

2 Comments:

Blogger SimpleGifts said...

Hi, Laura - I grew up in the Midwest and didn't know Sheriff John but my husband is a Long Beach native and has very fond memories of this lovely man. Here's my husband's comment he submitted to the L.A. Times: "You were the best of the best on TV in the 1950s Sheriff John ... a terrific role model who I'm sure will be greatly missed. For the "Birthday Brigade" you actually read my name one day! I'll never forget it. And you showed great cartoons, too. Wonderful wonderful memories! Thank you so much for being such a great pal." -- Jane

8:46 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Jane, that is absolutely lovely. Thank you so much for sharing your husband's comments. I believe Sheriff John made a lasting positive impact on countless Southern California children. Your husband's comments really bring that home.

Best wishes,
Laura

PS I see there are currently 110 comments for Sheriff John's obituary at the Los Angeles Times. That seems rather unusual and speaks well of what he meant to so many people.

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older