Thursday, January 10, 2013

85th Annual Academy Award Nominations

The 85th annual Academy Award nominations were announced this morning.

A complete list is here.

There are nine Best Picture nominees this year. I've seen just two of those films, ARGO (2012) and LES MISERABLES (2012).

Just as I don't take a great interest in the majority of current movie releases, I'm not especially interested in following the modern Oscars, but a couple of brief comments.

First, like many people, I was quite surprised Ben Affleck didn't receive a Directing nomination for ARGO. Sometimes it's hard to understand the Academy's thinking, especially given that the film received nominations for Best Picture and Best Supporting Actor. I guess the movie directed itself.

I was very happy that Disney's beautiful, mostly black and white short PAPERMAN (2012) was nominated for Best Animated Short Film. I've seen it three times, starting at Destination D last summer, and think it's marvelous.

The awards ceremony will take place on February 24th.

Previously: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, and 2012. 2009 was such a bad year I didn't bother to comment!

3 Comments:

Blogger DKoren said...

I have only seen "Life of Pi" in the Best Picture category, and it was not a movie I liked at all. Other than the fact it was very pretty, I didn't understand the appeal of that one. My brother-in-law saw Lincoln, however, and thought it was one of the best movies ever made. I know he'll be rooting for that one.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Deb!

Thanks much for your feedback. A couple of my kids liked LINCOLN, though they didn't rave about it. Hope to catch up with it at some point.

Best wishes,
Laura

10:01 AM  
Blogger Lasso The Movies said...

Love the quote, "I guess the movie directed itself." Eventually the Academy is going to have to take Affleck serious as a director. The question is, how long will it take?

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older