Monday, May 19, 2014

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the Internet...

...I'm pleased to announce that in cooperation with the Warner Archive, I anticipate reviewing significantly more of the Archive's releases, in many cases closer to their release dates. Reviews specifically of Warner Archive DVD and Blu-ray screeners will carry the additional label "A Warner Archive DVD Review" or "A Warner Archive Blu-ray Review," as seen here, here, and here. I know my readers appreciate the Warner Archive as much as I do, and I look forward to providing even more coverage of their DVD and Blu-ray releases in the future!

...New from Fox Cinema Archives: SPRINGTIME IN THE ROCKIES (1942) with Betty Grable, John Payne and Cesar Romero, and CHAD HANNA (1940) with Henry Fonda and Linda Darnell. My 2006 review of SPRINGTIME IN THE ROCKIES is here.

...Glenn Erickson has reviewed the new TCM Vault DVD of Doris Day in MIDNIGHT LACE (1960) at DVD Savant. I picked up this DVD at the TCM Classic Film Festival boutique and look forward to checking it out.

...Will McKinley asks "More Mitzi Gaynor Specials on TCM Please!" And Mitzi herself appreciated his post!

...Earlier this year Kim enjoyed the same screening of Anthony Mann's wacky but thoroughly entertaining STRANGERS IN THE NIGHT (1944) which I attended. She describes it at I See a Dark Theater.

...Did you know James Mason loved cats? He even coauthored a book on them.

...This five-minute ad for a new CBS fall show, MADAM SECRETARY, looks interesting in a WEST WING type way. Tea Leoni and Bebe Neuwirth star.

...Another new show which looks interesting: MANHATTAN, a period drama about the people behind the creation of the atomic bomb.

...Jennifer reviews THE THIEF OF BAGDAD (1940) at Virtual Virago. With all the "desert adventure" films I've been watching lately, I should catch up with this one.

...Recent movies out this week on DVD and Blu-ray: George Clooney and a great cast in THE MONUMENTS MEN (2014), which I reviewed in February, and Kevin Costner in 3 DAYS TO KILL (2014), reviewed in March.

...Here's Jacqueline on Charles Boyer and Ann Blyth in A WOMAN'S VENGEANCE (1948) at Another Old Movie Blog. Another Blyth movie for my "to find" list! It sounds fascinating.

...I'd heard about the abandoned '40s LITTLE WOMEN which was to have starred Jennifer Jones and Shirley Temple, but I'd never seen any photos of it. Greenbriar Picture Shows has some. I'd love to see more if they're out there!

...Attention Southern Californians: Here's the schedule for the Los Angeles Conservancy's "Last Remaining Seats" series next month, screening classic films in some of the great old movie palaces of Downtown Los Angeles. Two of the programs are already sold out.

...Notable Passing: Writer Mary Stewart has passed away at the age of 97. Her many books included THE MOON-SPINNERS, which was filmed with Hayley Mills; my review of the film is here.

Have a great week!

4 Comments:

Blogger Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

Thanks for the mention, Laura.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Garlen said...

Always an interesting roundup! Thanks!

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved that clip from preview of Madam Secretary.
And the link to Greenbriars about the proposed Little Women by Selznick. Completely new to me. Looks like Anne Revere as Marmee.

11:49 PM  
Blogger Kevin Deany said...

With the release of "Springtime in the Rockies" all of Carmen Miranda's movies are now available on DVD.

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older