Sunday, November 16, 2014

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...Please visit my latest column posted at the ClassicFlix site, a short biographical sketch of the wonderful Dana Andrews.  Lots of Dana Andrews DVD recommendations, too!

...As a Preston Foster fan, I'm really looking forward to another of his films, THUNDERHOOF (1948), coming out on DVD next month. It was directed by Phil Karlson. Toby's got all the info over at 50 Westerns From the 50s.

...WHITE CHRISTMAS (1954) will be screening nationwide in December in honor of its 60th anniversary. Details on the December 14th-15th screenings are here, and a list of theater locations is here. I had a really good experience seeing it on the big screen last year.

...And don't forget about seeing CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT (1945) and A CHRISTMAS CAROL (1938) the previous week; I provided more details in last week's roundup.

...Lindsay has a terrific review of Jack Webb's PETE KELLY'S BLUES (1955), just released on Blu-ray by the Warner Archive. I'll be reviewing it soon.

...Cliff has a thoughtful, detailed post at Immortal Ephemera on H.M. PULHAM, ESQ. (1941), starring Robert Young, Hedy Lamarr, and Ruth Hussey. The review includes a very interesting comparison to the novel by J.P. Marquand. This is a film I look forward to seeing at some point!

...THE CROWN, a planned original TV series for Netflix, will tell the life story of the current Queen, Elizabeth II.

...Kristina reviews a "vintage" 1967 film book, WHO IS THAT?, at Speakeasy. Recent posts by Kristina and Mike are inspiring me! As time permits I hope to join them in sharing some of the interesting old film books on my shelves.

...Last weekend Maureen O'Hara received a greatly deserved Honorary Oscar in a ceremony in Hollywood. O'Hara thanked Charles Laughton, John Ford, and John Wayne in her acceptance. Legendary Japanese animator Hayao Miyazaki (THE WIND RISES), who was also honored with an Oscar, said, "My greatest luck is that I got to meet Maureen O'Hara today." Harry Belafonte and screenwriter Jean-Claude Carriere also received Honorary Oscars.

...Will has the latest behind-the-scenes news on Turner Classic Movies at his site, Cinematically Insane.

...I'm quite interested in the new film THE IMITATION GAME (2014), about the cracking of the Nazi Enigma code during World War II. It stars Benedict Cumberbatch and Keira Knightley, with a supporting cast including Mark Strong, Matthew Goode, Charles Dance, and Allen Leech (DOWNTON ABBEY). It opens the day after Thanksgiving. The trailer is here.

...Are you a member of the Film Noir Foundation? Vince Keenan gives the rundown on the contents of the latest issue of Noir City Magazine, yours for a donation to the FNF.

...Speaking of film noir, Karen is celebrating "Noirvember" at Shadows and Satin. Every day there's a new post on a quite a variety of film noir topics. It's great fun so be sure to stop by for a visit.

...Coming November 25th: A new coffee table book, CRITERION DESIGNS, filled with the original artwork for Criterion DVD releases.

...Daniel Day-Lewis is now Sir Daniel Day-Lewis. The three-time Oscar winner was knighted last week by the Duke of Cambridge.

...Notable Passing: TV creator Glen Larson, the man behind MAGNUM, P.I. and the original BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, has died at 77. Here are obituaries from The Hollywood Reporter and Deadline.

...For the latest on Disney books, movies, DVDs, music, theater, and more, please visit last week's Disney News link roundup.

Have a great week!

8 Comments:

Blogger Kristina said...

Thanks Laura, it's fun to go through the older books and uncover things for fellow movie buffs to add to their collections. Nice Dana Andrews article, I'm glad you included A Wing & a Prayer and Canyon Passage, I like those too. I'm a big Phil Karlson fan, so Thunderhoof looks interesting.
Best!

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the lovely mention, Laura! It's most appreciated. I'm heading over to Cliff's blog now to check out his post on H.M. Pulham, Esq. - I love that movie!

5:28 PM  
Blogger Mike's Take on the Movies said...

Thanks from me as well for the link on the book videos. Part 3 to follow and look forward to hearing about some of your faves.

7:08 PM  
Blogger KC said...

The Preston Foster mention made me think of a movie I saw this morning: Two Seconds, with Edward G. Robinson and Foster. Have you seen it? I'm not as big a fan of PF as you, but when I enjoy him in a role (like The Hunted), I really love him. Anyway, Two Seconds had that effect on me.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Kristina and Mike, I'm delighted you plan to keep your video series on favorite film books going, it's fab! :)

Kristina, so glad to know you love those Dana Andrews films too. I thought they were both really good, especially CANYON PASSAGE.

Karen, thanks for all the great Noirvember reading! (William Talman busted for pot -- who knew?! And the Leon Ames story was fascinating.) Now I want to see H.M. PULHAM ESQ. even more!

KC, you have me so intrigued by TWO SECONDS, I've never seen it! Must find! Have you seen him in the B movie DOUBLE DANGER? He had a HUNTED-type effect on me in that one. :) Thanks for the recommendation!

Best wishes,
Laura

7:32 PM  
Blogger Rick said...

Thanks for the link to Speakeasy. I've had WHO IS THAT? on my shelf since, I guess, 1967, and this is the first time I was ever sure that anyone else even knew it existed.

I still take it down every now and then and sort of quiz myself on all those familiar faces.

Thanks again.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Melissa Clark said...

Seeing White Christmas in the movie theater last year was a huge highlight of my holiday season. I'm looking forward to seeing it again on the big screen! Thanks for letting us know about it. :)

Melissa

12:39 PM  
Blogger Kristina said...

:) Rick- nice to see someone else who knows about and enjoys that book! Thanks for checking it out & thanks again Laura

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older