Sunday, January 11, 2015

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...I missed sharing the news in time that TCM sponsored a nationwide screening of THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939) today; however, the film will be shown again on Wednesday, January 14th. Details are here.

...I always love Robby's location posts at Dear Old Hollywood, especially for THE ROCKFORD FILES! Here is info on The Donut Prince in Burbank.

...The Self-Styled Siren, Farran Nehme, has written a lovely article on MARGIE (1946), and it even quotes our pal Blake Lucas. Need to locate the referenced piece by Blake! I'm so glad Farran has called wider attention to this wonderful film.

...The Randolph Scott Blogathon is coming later this month to 50 Westerns From the 50s! If you love Randolph Scott (and who doesn't?) why not join in?

...Also at 50 Westerns, Toby reviews THE LUSTY MEN (1952) -- plus check out the comments for a note from former child actress Carol Nugent Adams, who appeared in the film.

...At another favorite blog, Riding the High Country, Colin writes about John Payne in THE CROOKED WAY (1949), which I saw a couple of years ago.

...STAR WARS and baseball fans will enjoy this seconds-long humorous video.

...I need to check out Frank Sinatra and Kathryn Grayson in THE KISSING BANDIT (1948). I know I've seen the dance with Montalban, Miller, and Charisse but am not certain I've seen the whole thing. Read about it at Java's Journey.

...There are beautiful stills from A LETTER TO THREE WIVES (1949) at Greenbriar Picture Shows.

...Psychologists confirm that the "familiar fictional worlds" in favorite TV shows, books, and movies can help in stressful or challeging times. Yes, "movie comfort food" is real -- the author jokes "you can use this study to justify extensive DVD collections," LOL.

...A few days ago Kristina posted a very nice Bruce Cabot Photo Gallery at Speakeasy.

...Glenn Erickson has reviewed the Warner Archive's TILL THE END OF TIME (1946) at DVD Savant.

...I really enjoyed JACK RYAN: SHADOW RECRUIT (2014) last year, but sadly star Chris Pine says "I don't think it made enough money" to justify a sequel.

...As I write this, Season 3 of HILL STREET BLUES is just $12.99 at Amazon. Season 4 is coming in March. This is great news for those of us who purchased the first two seasons years ago and didn't want to re-buy them in last year's complete series release.

...Kirk and Anne Douglas reflect on six decades of marriage in this interview. (Via Raquel.)

...The fine CBS TV series BLUE BLOODS just celebrated its 100th episode.

...Check out the photo of MGM stars in the '50s at Vienna's Classic Hollywood. I don't recall seeing it before!

...As an Amazon Prime member, I recently received an invitation to order the Amazon Echo, and it will be arriving this week. I'm curious to see what it will do and what will be added to its capabilities in the coming months.

...I enjoyed this video interview with Rod Taylor, thanks to the Nitrate Diva...although Rod doesn't seem to have remembered accurately how many movies he'd made before THE TIME MACHINE (1960). For anyone who missed it, my obituary tribute to Rod is here. Today would have been Rod's 85th birthday; last year I wrote a birthday tribute on this date.

...Notable Passings: Actress Anita Ekberg, star of LA DOLCE VITA (1960), has died at 83...Producer Samuel Goldwyn Jr. has passed on at 88. His film MASTER AND COMMANDER (2003) was nominated for Best Picture. His other films included MYSTIC PIZZA (1988) and TORTILLA SOUP (2001)...Actor-Stuntman Bill Hart has died at the age of 80. He did stunt work on Westerns such as THE ALAMO (1960) and THE WILD BUNCH (1969).

Have a great week! GO DUCKS!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Kristina said...

Thanks for the mention! I'm curious about the Echo too, maybe you'll fill us in after using it for a bit. Also thanks to these links I now have Margie and Till the End of Time on my to-watch list.

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for mentioning that mysterious MGM photo that doesn't seem to turn up in any books I have.
It's lovely to see all the tributes to Rod Taylor, and thanks for the interview link.
I was finishing a post on The Train Robbers ( in which Rod has a good part) when I heard of his death. So I am dedicating the post to him. ( part of the Contrary to Popular Opinion blogathon).
I've always avoided The Kissing Bandit because of its reputation but look forward to your thoughts on it.
By the way, my blog 'views ' shot up after your mention, so very many thanks.

6:54 AM  
Blogger Rick said...

That MGM photo really is odd. Other than Van Johnson's broad, always-there smile, most of them don't seem that thrilled to be there.

11:32 AM  
Blogger JavaBeanRush said...

The Douglas interview seems interesting. I'm going straight over there.

And thank you again for mentioning my blog.

-- Java

3:51 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

You're all so welcome!

Kristina, those are two very worthwhile films! I'm having fun checking out the Echo. At this point I think it could be described as a talking alarm clock/music player but it's very good at what it does, and I expect in the future its abilities will expand.

Here is Vienna's post on THE TRAIN ROBBERS. I wish Rod had made more movies with the Duke!

Best wishes,
Laura

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older