Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...It's time for Raquel's annual Summer Reading Classic Film Book Challenge at her blog, Out of the Past. Sign up and read six film-related books this summer between June 1st and September 1st! I'll be posting my book picks for the challenge here in the near future. Raquel's challenge has pushed me to fit more books into my busy schedule, and I highly recommend participating.

...Raquel also recently posted a giant list of upcoming film-related books.

...Speaking of books, Jacqueline Lynch's new book on Ann Blyth is coming soon! And I'll be reviewing it here next month.

...Coursera is reprising Jeanine Basinger's Wesleyan University course on Marriage and the Movies. It started May 18th and registration is still open -- and free! I started the course last year and was very much enjoying it but ran out of time to finish it due to a vacation and other issues, so I'm going back to it now to pick up what I missed! (I still need to watch Greta Garbo in WILD ORCHIDS -- hope to do it this time!)

...Here are some great behind-the-scenes photos from THE SOUND OF MUSIC (1965).

...Coming this fall: The eagerly anticipated third and final CLASSIC MOVIE GUIDE from Leonard Maltin -- this time branded with the TCM logo.

...Today Bruce Boxleitner Tweeted a birthday tribute to his mentor, James Arness.

...I enjoyed the Nitrate Diva's account of attending the 2015 Nitrate Picture Show, with all films screened in nitrate prints, just like I saw them back in the '70s. I suspect I saw the very same print of PORTRAIT OF JENNIE, screened at the Tiffany Theater on Sunset Boulevard.

...Blogathons coming in June: The Beach Party Blogathon June 8-12, and The Classic Movie History Project Blogathon June 26-28.

...From January: The Blonde at the Film's photo-filled look at the MGM musical LOVELY TO LOOK AT (1952).

...Here's John McElwee on Ben Johnson in WILD STALLION (1952) at Greenbriar Picture Shows. I need to see that one soon, especially as it's in Cinecolor!

...Coming from Olive in July: Four titles including HELL'S FIVE HOURS (1958) with Stephen McNally and Coleen Gray, who had previously costarred in APACHE DRUMS (1951). MAN OF CONQUEST (1939) with Richard Dix, Gail Patrick, and Joan Fontaine sounds interesting too.

...Coming to Key Largo this October: the Humphrey Bogart Film Festival, with guests Stephen Bogart, Eddie Muller, and Monika Henreid.

...From VCI in August: Russell Hayden in a set of four ROYAL CANADIAN MOUNTED POLICE movies, some costarring Jennifer Holt.

...I loved this piece on Frank McHugh by Cliff at Immortal Ephemera, especially the news photo with his wife and children.

...Attention Southern Californians: This Friday, May 29th, Illeana Douglas will host a screening of the 1955 TV musical production of OUR TOWN at UCLA. OUR TOWN stars Frank Sinatra (singing "Love and Marriage"), Paul Newman, and Eva Marie Saint. Saint will be in attendance, along with Gena Rowlands, who stars in a 30-minute TV drama which will be shown before OUR TOWN.

...Notable Passing: Eric Caidin, longtime proprietor of Hollywood Book and Poster Co., died suddenly at the age of 62. He passed on in Palm Springs after attending the 2015 Arthur Lyons Film Noir Festival, an event I covered here extensively.

Have a great week!

6 Comments:

Blogger Jacqueline T. Lynch said...

Thanks for the mention, Laura.

Interesting about that OUR TOWN TV version. I've never seen it and wondered if it had taped. So glad it's still around.

5:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh to be in Key Largo for that Bogart festival.. Perfect location!

9:53 AM  
Blogger Caftan Woman said...

The Boxleitner tweet was very heart-warming.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

That Jeanine Basinger course looks interesting. I was planning on reading I DO AND I DON'T for Raquel's challenge. This would be the perfect accompaniment. Thank you for the info. ~Bonnie

7:57 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

This will be his third and final Classic guide? I know he wasn't going to be updating his other Guide, but I didn't realize this was the last Classic guide. I suppose that was inevitable, though. Sigh.

4:23 AM  
Blogger Kristina said...

Thanks for the Beach Party mention and for joining in the fun.
Love those Mountie movies!

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older