Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Frank Borzage Series Opens Friday at UCLA

UCLA will be showcasing the films of director Frank Borzage starting this Friday, July 10th. The series, titled 7th Heaven: The Films of Frank Borzage, continues through September 20th.

Over two dozen films, including a couple of incomplete reconstructions, plus a short will be shown in the coming weeks.

We have a busy summer ahead but I'm hoping to see at least some of the films in this series; I won't be able to see Janet Gaynor and Charles Farrell in 7TH HEAVEN (1927) this Friday night, but I'd love to see them in STREET ANGEL (1928) or LUCKY STAR (1929) if I can fit one or both into the schedule later in the month. It would be a great opportunity for me to expand my viewing of classic silent movies.

I'm also interested in seeing films such as Spencer Tracy and Loretta Young in MAN'S CASTLE (1933), Robert Taylor and Margaret Sullavan in THREE COMRADES (1938), Sullavan and James Stewart in THE MORTAL STORM (1940), and Catherine McLeod in I'VE ALWAYS LOVED YOU (1946).

I very highly recommend Charles Boyer and Jean Arthur in HISTORY IS MADE AT NIGHT (1937), showing on September 9th, and Dane Clark and Gail Russell in MOONRISE (1948) on September 20th. I've previously seen both films at UCLA as part of the ongoing "Archive Treasures" series, and they were sublime viewing experiences.

The complete schedule is on the UCLA website.

Susan King has more on this series in the Los Angeles Times.

Also coming to UCLA: A retrospective of the films of director Dorothy Arzner, starting July 31st. I'll have more on that here later in the month.

Update: Here are reviews of LUCKY STAR (1929) and I'VE ALWAYS LOVED YOU (1946).

3 Comments:

Blogger Jerry E said...

A wonderful retrospective, Laura. I would give highest recommendation to 1940's "THE MORTAL STORM", a powerful and thoroughly absorbing film.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Raquel Stecher said...

It's events like these that made me wish I lived closer to LA!

6:45 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for the recommendation, Jerry! THE MORTAL STORM is one I haven't seen yet.

Raquel, I wish you were here too! It would be such fun to meet up at events like this and enjoy them together! (That goes for Jerry also!)

Best wishes,
Laura

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older