Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Archive Treasures: 50th Anniversary Celebration Opens Friday at UCLA

A fantastic new film series, Archive Treasures: 50th Anniversary Celebration, opens this Friday at UCLA.

The series will run from October 2nd through December 19, 2015.

The festival presents some of UCLA Archive's "most illustrious restorations performed by our world-famous film preservation staff over our long history."

A total of 31 varied films will be shown over the next few weeks. I expect to be there for THE RED SHOES (1948) this Friday and again on Saturday night for GILDA (1946) and THE BIGAMIST (1953).

Later in the month I hope to attend MY DARLING CLEMENTINE (1946) and SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON (1949) on October 19th. While I just saw CLEMENTINE last April at the TCM Classic Film Festival, SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON is one of my favorite movies, and I haven't seen it on a big screen since I was a young teen and attended a series of RKO films at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. October is going to be a busy month, including two film festivals and a theatrical production (THE LION KING), but I hope I can fit that in!

I'd also especially love to see FOLLOW THRU (1930) and BECKY SHARP (1935) on November 1st.

For further details on this series, please check out Kenneth Turan's column in the Los Angeles Times.

The complete schedule of titles, dates, and times may be found at the UCLA Film & Television Archive website.

Update: My review of THE RED SHOES may be found here. Unfortunately I have to skip the evening of GILDA and THE BIGAMIST due to illness, but I hope to be there again for the night of John Ford films! The version screened of MY DARLING CLEMENTINE will be the prerelease version.

Update: Here are reviews of MY DARLING CLEMENTINE (1946) and SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON (1949).

Update: Here are reviews of FOLLOW THRU (1930) and BECKY SHARP (1935).

2 Comments:

Blogger SimpleGifts said...

Hi, Laura - I so hope you can attend this rare screening of BECKY SHARP. I saw the film in 1989 when it was first restored by the UCLA Film and Television Archive and it's stunning. As you probably know, BECKY SHARP is the first feature filmed entirely in three-strip Technicolor and so worthy of preservation. Here's a clip of images before and after restoration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEVjZZcYDJE -- Best, Jane

11:48 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you so much for the endorsement and the clip, Jane! Really interesting. What a "before and after" difference! We had a great experience seeing the amazing color of THE RED SHOES last night so that makes me hope to see BECKY SHARP all the more. Perhaps I'll see you there? :)

Best wishes,
Laura

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older