Saturday, October 17, 2015

Coming Next Weekend: The Palm Springs Classic Science Fiction Film Festival

The first annual Palm Springs Classic Science Fiction Film Festival is coming next weekend!

This inaugural sci-fi festival opens on Friday evening, October 23rd, and runs through Sunday, October 25th.

The festival is being produced and hosted by Alan K. Rode for the Palm Springs Cultural Center. It will be held at the Camelot Theatres, which is also the venue where the Arthur Lyons Film Noir Festival which Rode produces is held each spring.

The festival kicks off Friday night with a 7:30 p.m. screening of THE FLY (1958) with star David Hedison in attendance.

Although I'm unable to be there Friday evening, I'll be heading to Palm Springs bright and early next Saturday and cover the other seven films being shown during the weekend.

Saturday starts off with INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956), followed by CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON (1954) with star Julie Adams there for a Q&A!

Saturday continues with THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS (1953) and THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN (1957), which has been highly recommended to me by several longtime readers of this blog.

Sunday morning I'm especially pleased at the prospect of seeing THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD (1951) on a big screen. It's especially serendipitous, as that film is on my list of 10 Classics to see for the first time in 2015.

Sunday will also feature IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE (1953) with star Kathleen Hughes the scheduled guest, and the festival closes out with THEM! (1954).

As I've shared in the past, science fiction films of this type used to irrationally frighten me, but I've come to enjoy '50s sci-fi in a big way in the last few years, including titles such as WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE (1951), THE WAR OF THE WORLDS (1953), and EARTH VERSUS THE FLYING SAUCERS (1956), to name just a few! Thanks to this festival, I'm going to dive into classic '50s sci-fi in a big way, with five of the seven films being brand-new to me.

The Camelot, located at 2300 East Baristo Road in Palm Springs, is a beautiful venue, a large theater with ample leg room. And as those who have attended Noir City Festivals know, Alan Rode is an enthusiastic and exceptionally knowledgeable host. If you're a classic film fan, why not consider spending next weekend in Palm Springs enjoying the best of the sci-fi genre?!

For more background on the festival, visit an interview with Alan Rode by Richard Harland Smith, posted at the TCM Movie Morlocks site.

For schedule and ticket information, please visit the official Palm Springs Classic Science Fiction Film Festival website.

Update: Here's more information, including plans for future festivals, from Will McKinley.

Update: More coverage here coming soon!

Update: The Palm Springs Classic Science Fiction Film Festival in Review.

8 Comments:

Blogger James Corry said...

Laura, boy do I ever envy YOU seeing "The Incredible Shrinking Man" and "Beast From 20,000 Fathoms" for the first time! And on a big-screen to boot (not on a TV set....or a laptop....)! I first saw "Shrinking Man" at the (now long-gone) Motor-Vu Drive In in Salt Lake City, Utah, with my cousin in July of 1963 and I never forgot it. It has one of the most beautiful, spiritual endings to any science-fiction film bar none. "Beast" was Ray Harryhausen's first "solo" effort and was done for a pittance and Ray put every dime up on the screen His visual effects being done (literally) in a rented store-front on Washington Blvd. in Culver City over 60 years ago......The film looks and feels FAR more expensive than it was.....and keep a sharp eye out for young Lee Van Cleef who plays the sharpshooter! Have a great time Laura! They're both fabulous movies!

Brad

3:46 PM  
Blogger KC said...

Oooh, glad you're covering this. I'm so curious about it. The Incredible Shrinking Man is an interesting flick. Great that you'll be seeing it on the big screen. Can't wait to hear how it all goes!

5:25 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Brad, thanks so much for your thoughts. As I recall you're one of those I mentioned who has recommended THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN, so I'm finally going to see it! I loved your reminisces. Thank you!

Thanks, KC! Hopefully this will be the first of many such festivals! I'd love it if film fans like you and Brad can be there in the future!

Best wishes,
Laura

7:59 PM  
Blogger Blake Lucas said...

I'm probably another who mentioned THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN a time or two. It is my absolute favorite science-fiction movie of all time and I'm sure that will never change. I echo what Brad said about its beautiful, spiritual ending--one of the highest moments of all cinema. No one is ready for this until they see the movie.

I must say the selection is really good here. My other all-time favorites THE FLY and INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS are also on the schedule.

9:36 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks, Blake! I'm sure you were! It's also been recommended by Mel. A very strong group of recommendations!!

Looking forward to checking it out along with other new-to-me movies, plus revisiting two fun movies I've enjoyed in the the past.

Best wishes,
Laura

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh, I hope you like THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD - even half as much as I do!
What a great sci-fi festival.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Kristina said...

Yes I envy you too, seeing this great lineup of movies, and so many new to you, in such a cool place. Enjoy!!

6:27 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'll let you know, Vienna! Looking forward to it. :)

Thanks, Kristina! I hope one year you can fly out for it, I'd love to share the experience with you!!

Best wishes,
Laura

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older