Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Quick Preview of TCM in February: 31 Days of Oscar

Turner Classic Movies has just posted the online preview of its February 2016 schedule.

February, of course, means the annual 31 Days of Oscar lineup. 2016 is a leap year, so I anticipate that the Oscar lineup will conclude on March 2nd.

February is always a great month for those who are newer to classic films to catch up on a wealth of great titles. And of course, there are dozens of great films for the rest of us, although the requirement that all films shown in February be Oscar nominees naturally means that the schedule is fairly predictable.

For me the most exciting news regarding the February schedule is that TCM will be showing a Paramount film, FRENCHMAN'S CREEK (1944). I saw this Mitchell Leisen film at UCLA last year and very much enjoyed Joan Fontaine and the beautiful Technicolor. I'm looking forward to seeing it again!

I'll have more to share about the February schedule around the end of next January!

In the meantime, Norma Shearer continues as the November Star of the Month. Looking ahead, TCM celebrates the Frank Sinatra Centennial in December, and the January Star of the Month is Fred MacMurray.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lady American said...

I saw the schedule, and I wonder what the theme will be for 31 Days of Oscar this year. I know last year they have the history of the Academy Awards, and past years' theme have include The Envelope please and Oscars around the world. We can only wonder. Plus, I saw Goodfellas on the schedule, airing very late at night. One of my favorites, (I know it was released 25 years ago and so it won't be in the "classic" category, but still it has aged well). Anyway, thank you Laura for keeping up for all us classic fans!!!!

10:59 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'm not sure of the theme although I did notice that they seemed to schedule many of the films in sets of two movies featuring the same actor back to back.

I'm glad I can fill you in, thanks for your note!

Best wishes,
Laura

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older