Wednesday, January 04, 2017

Road House (1948) Sunday at UCLA

The first classic film screening I plan to see this year is a special one: ROAD HOUSE (1948) at UCLA's Billy Wilder Theater...in a nitrate print!


The screening is part of UCLA's ongoing "Archive Treasures" series.

I reviewed ROAD HOUSE in 2012. It stars Richard Widmark, Ida Lupino, Cornel Wilde, and Celeste Holm, directed by Jean Negulesco.


I understand that last summer's nitrate double bill of LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN (1945) and NIGHTMARE ALLEY (1947) at UCLA, which I was unable to attend, was a hot ticket and I anticipate a nice crowd on hand Sunday.

I'm especially thrilled as I saw CASABLANCA (1942) in nitrate at the Egyptian in November. It was the first time I'd seen a nitrate print since I was a teen in the late '70s or early '80s, and it was a phenomenal viewing experience. ROAD HOUSE is a terrific film, and I anticipate Sunday should be another wonderful time at the movies!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jerry E said...

Envy you!!!!!!!

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are SO lucky!!!! Lupino, Widmark,Wilde on the big screen. Great start to the New Year.

12:13 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Definitely a great start to the year! I feel fortunate to be able to go. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older