Saturday, May 06, 2017

Quick Preview of TCM in August: Summer Under the Stars

The August Summer Under the Stars schedule is now available on the Turner Classic Movies website!

Here is the 2017 Summer Under the Stars lineup. Each star listed below will be celebrated with a 24-hour marathon:

AUGUST 1: MARILYN MONROE

AUGUST 2: RAY MILLAND

AUGUST 3: LON CHANEY SR.

AUGUST 4: TBA; WILL BE CLAIRE TREVOR OR VIRGINIA MAYO (UPDATE: CLAIRE TREVOR)

AUGUST 5: GENE KELLY

AUGUST 6: ROBERT MITCHUM
AUGUST 7: ELEANOR PARKER

AUGUST 8: FRANCHOT TONE

AUGUST 9: SANDRA DEE

AUGUST 10: SIDNEY POITIER

AUGUST 11: GINGER ROGERS

AUGUST 12: JOHN WAYNE

AUGUST 13: BARBARA STANWYCK

AUGUST 14: VANESSA REDGRAVE

AUGUST 15: RICARDO MONTALBAN

AUGUST 16: ELVIS PRESLEY

AUGUST 17: ROSALIND RUSSELL

AUGUST 18: ROD TAYLOR

AUGUST 19: ANGELA LANSBURY

AUGUST 20: TBA; WILL BE CARY GRANT OR GREGORY PECK (UPDATE: CARY GRANT)

AUGUST 21: ANN HARDING

AUGUST 22: GLENN FORD

AUGUST 23: GREER GARSON

AUGUST 24: DENNIS MORGAN

AUGUST 25: SIMONE SIGNORET

AUGUST 26: JAMES CAGNEY

AUGUST 27: LESLIE CARON

AUGUST 28: SLIM PICKENS

AUGUST 29: MARION DAVIES

AUGUST 30: GEORGE SANDERS

AUGUST 31: ELIZABETH TAYLOR

The August 4th and 20th dates are being voted on by members of TCM's official Backlot club; voting closes May 14th. I'll update this post once the information for those dates is available.

A few notes of interest:

On August 2nd TCM will be showing the Paramount film ALIAS NICK BEAL (1949), starring Ray Milland. This film has been popular on the film noir circuit in theaters but is not on DVD, and I assume it's a TCM premiere.

On August 7th there's a rare showing of THE NAKED JUNGLE (1954), a tremendously fun film with Eleanor Parker, Charlton Heston, and killer ants!

Another rarely seen film turns up on August 8th, with Franchot Tone and Joan Bennett starring in THE WIFE TAKES A FLYER (1942). This Columbia Pictures film is only of mild interest, but I'm always glad to see a rarely shown movie with favorite actors turn up on TCM.

I'm not sure if THE PRIVATE AFFAIRS OF BEL AMI (1947) has been on TCM before. It's a United Artists release starring George Sanders, Angela Lansbury, and Ann Dvorak, being shown on August 19th.

Finally, I'm wondering if THE DESERT SONG (1943) with Dennis Morgan has turned up on TCM in the past. Wonderful movie! It's on August 24th.

I'll have more detailed information on the August schedule posted here at the end of July. In the meantime, Clark Gable is currently the Star of the Month for May. Audrey Hepburn is featured in June, and Ronald Colman is the Star of the Month for July.

Update: For more on TCM in August 2017, please visit TCM in August: Summer Under the Stars Highlights.

10 Comments:

Blogger John G. said...

"Alias Nick Beal" is a ridiculously good movie. Quadruple shame on Paramount for never putting this out on DVD.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Caftan Woman said...

Thanks for the heads-up.

I love Sigmund Romberg and I love Dennis Morgan. The '43 Desert Song will be new to me. Can't wait.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Phyl said...

I've been watching all of the Dennis Morgan movies TCM has been showing the past couple years and I haven't seen it. I will have probably seen most of the films they show that day but now I know there will at least be one I haven't seen!

4:25 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

I don't think "The Desert Song" has been on. I remember it screened at the festival a couple of years ago because Robert O. remembered it fondly from his youth and hadn't seen it in years -- then said "It wasn't really that good, was it?" I enjoyed it, but it's a programmer at best.

8:29 PM  
Blogger A said...

My favorites on the list - Stanwyck, Harding, Sanders, and Milland

12:52 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks to you all for the feedback!

John, it really is puzzling that ALIAS NICK BEAL has never come out on DVD...but then I guess there are a number of Paramount films I could say that about. (MOONRISE for starters...)

Caftan Woman and Phyl, I hope you enjoy THE DESERT SONG (I like it more than Dave, it sounds like). Lots of great music (though my biggest complaint is I wanted even more) and beautiful Technicolor.

Dave, thanks for sharing your memory of the TCM screening, I wasn't there for that! Interesting Mr. Osborne didn't end up liking it that much since it was such a hit with me -- it even made my "Favorite Film Discoveries" list a couple years ago. In any event I'm delighted it's going to show up on TCM and viewers can check it out!

Lots of great names on the list, Amanda!!

Best wishes,
Laura

9:56 AM  
Blogger KC said...

Eleanor Parker, Rod Taylor and Elizabeth Taylor? It's like they consulted me!

8:27 AM  
Blogger Raquel Stecher said...

Thanks for this post Laura. I plotted out my TCM SUTS recording schedule and I used your list to check the movies for each day.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

LOL, KC!

Delighted to know it was helpful, Raquel!! Thank you. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

11:17 PM  
Blogger Sweet Sue said...

Gene Kelly, Yay. I never get tired of watching that talented hottie's movies.

2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older