Monday, February 19, 2018

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...Great news: As I have long hoped, MOONRISE (1948) will be released in May by the Criterion Collection. MOONRISE stars Dane Clark and Gail Russell, directed by Frank Borzage. Though I hate to complain in the face of this great news, I'll be honest: The Criterion cover, which can be seen at their site, is unusually unpleasant, and the extras are skimpy. Nonetheless it's fantastic that this film is coming out on DVD and Blu-ray at long last. (Now, dare I hope for NIGHT HAS A THOUSAND EYES?)

...Coming to the Warner Archive this week: A GIRL, A GUY, AND A GOB (1941) with Lucille Ball, Edmond O'Brien, and George Murphy, listed on the WAC site here, and Jack Carson and Janis Paige in LOVE AND LEARN (1947), listed here.

...Here's a trailer for an upcoming WWII-era film starring Lily James and Matthew Goode. The film's wordy title is THE GUERNSEY LITERARY & POTATO PEEL PIE SOCIETY. No U.S. release date is set.

...New from Cook's Illustrated in April: DINNER ILLUSTRATED: 175 MEALS READY IN 1 HOUR OR LESS.

...A few days after I watched Tim Holt in THE ROOKIE COP (1939), Jessica reviewed it as part of her recently started series "Watching 1939."

...One of the things which makes me happiest is recommending a movie and later hearing that someone else enjoyed it. In just the last few days I've learned that my friend Jessica enjoyed Belita in LADY, LET'S DANCE! (1944), which she wrote about here; Raquel enjoyed Saoirse Ronan in BROOKLYN (2015), which she wrote about here; the Self-Styled Siren liked Audie Murphy and Dan Duryea in RIDE CLEAR OF DIABLO (1954); and Mel enjoyed the Hallmark Hall of Fame film LOVING LEAH (2009). It was a great week for recommendations, and hearing this news was really wonderful. Thank you all for the feedback! I hope more readers will check out these most enjoyable films.

...Earlier this month Parade magazine featured a nice article on Hallmark movies, including interviews with several actors who regularly appear in Hallmark films.

...Three late 2017 releases are coming out on Blu-ray and DVD on February 27th: DARKEST HOUR (2017), which I reviewed here; MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS (2017), reviewed here; and COCO (2017), reviewed here.

...Congratulations to Raquel on 1,000 posts at her blog Out of the Past! Raquel recently started a sister blog, Bygone Voyager, to discuss historical movies and TV programs.

...Here's an article on film preservation at Paramount Pictures.

...Kristen of Journeys in Classic Film recently reviewed THE LADY FROM CHEYENNE (1941), a delightful film starring Loretta Young and Robert Preston. It's a movie which very much needs a DVD release!

...Kino Lorber Studio Classics reviews coming to my site in March: Richard Conte, Joan Bennett, and Wanda Hendrix in HIGHWAY DRAGNET (1954) and Richard Dix and Irene Dunne in STINGAREE (1934).

...More exciting Kino Lorber news for April: Releases of TRIGGER, JR. (1950) and SINGING GUNS (1950), both with commentary tracks by Toby Roan of 50 Westerns From the 50s. William Witney's son Jay Dee Witney will also participate in the TRIGGER, JR. commentary.

...Notable Passings: I was very sorry to learn of the passing of singer-actor Vic Damone. Damone appeared in several MGM musicals in the '50s including RICH, YOUNG AND PRETTY (1951), ATHENA (1954), DEEP IN MY HEART (1954), HIT THE DECK (1955), and KISMET (1955)...Glen Holt, the widower of Annette Funicello, has died at the age of 87. Annette passed on nearly five years ago, in April 2013...Writer Bill Crider died this week at 76. I enjoyed peeking in on his blog from time to time as he was a film fan and he also liked to feature great vintage advertising at his site.

...For more recent links on classic movies and more, please check out my February 11th link roundup.

Have a great week!

8 Comments:

Blogger Caftan Woman said...

Highway Dragnet AND Moonrise coming out soon? How do "they" expect me to stick to a budget?

11:41 AM  
Blogger SimpleGifts said...

Thanks for the news about THE GUERNSEY LITERARY & POTATO PEEL PIE SOCIETY being made into a movie. I really enjoyed the book of the same title. I'll be on the lookout for the film's U.S. release! Best, Jane

1:11 PM  
Blogger Irene said...

I wanted you to know that I refer to your blog many times when choosing a movie. Or when watching a movie, I go back to your blog about it in order to understand something. A prime example is "Dunkirk". I was so confused at the beginning that I reread your post and then understood the three time frames. Made so much more sense after that :) I also have "Loving Leah" in the que at the library. I watched "Brooklyn" and thoroughly enjoyed it after reading your post. I saw "Coco" at the theater and will be purchasing the DVD because I so fell in love with that movie. Am looking forward to "Darkest Hour" and "Murder on the Orient Express". And the new Lilly James movie!! Right up my alley (and my daughter and son-in-law's!). I sure hope that gets a release date here in the U.S.!!!! Thanks for your posts as they help to open to worlds of entertainment for me. Not sure if I wrote to you, but did I tell you my brother passed away?

7:19 AM  
Blogger Raquel Stecher said...

Thank you so much for the link Laura. I agree with you that Criterion's cover of Moonrise is rather unpleasant.

I second what Irene said especially regarding Brooklyn!

9:21 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Jane, I'm glad to know you liked the book, hopefully there's a good chance the movie will be good too. Love the cast! I'll be watching for the release date info as well.

Best wishes,
Laura

9:53 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Irene, First and most importantly, you did tell me about your brother. I was so very sorry to hear the news, I know you enjoyed many things together and you must must him so much. My sympathy to you and your entire family.

Secondly, the rest of your comment really made my day!! It gives me such a great feeling to know I've helped you find happy hours of entertainment! I really appreciate you sharing that. (And the DUNKIRK time line *is* confusing, isn't it?!) Hope you will enjoying LOVING LEAH as much as I did, and the other films as well.

Best wishes,
Laura

10:00 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Raquel! You're very welcome. Congrats again on both your long-running blog and your brand-new blog!

And thank you as well for the very kind words!! I feel like my blog is doing what I've hoped when friends and readers discover new movies to enjoy!

Best wishes,
Laura

10:02 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Caftan Woman, it's a great "problem" to have, isn't it? LOL.

Best wishes,
Laura

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older