Sunday, November 04, 2018

Tonight's Movie: Wine, Women and Horses (1937) - A Warner Archive DVD Review

Barton MacLane plays an inveterate gambler in WINE, WOMEN AND HORSES (1937), newly released on DVD from the Warner Archive.

It isn't often that a movie leaves me wondering "What was the point of all that?" but WINE, WOMEN AND HORSES was such a film. Jim Treacher (MacLane) constantly wins and loses his shirt at the racetrack and elsewhere, but when he falls for pretty small-town girl Marjorie Mayhew (Peggy Bates), he pledges to leave gambling behind and hold a steady job.

After he works for a while, proving he can do it, Marjorie and Jim marry, but it isn't long before's tempted back off the straight and narrow. Moving to California and hanging out around Santa Anita Racetrack doesn't help matters! Jim's old racetrack pal Val (Ann Sheridan) and Broadway Willis (Charley Foy) take him out, ostensibly just to "watch" them gamble; Jim, of course, breaks down and plays too. He wins a pile of dough but Marjorie isn't having it and goes back home.

It's no surprise when the gambling-addicted Jim loses everything he'd won and becomes a tramp, while Marjorie has their child, who dies. Jim isn't around for that, which makes him even more of a loser, but when he shows up in town ready to try once more Marjorie gives him every chance, although by now she's in love with her childhood sweetheart Pres (Walter Cassel).

Fortunately the film's only 64 minutes long so it's pretty quick getting to the bizarre wrap-up!

Warner Bros. loved to reuse their properties, and this film was no exception. It's a remake of DARK HAZARD (1934) which starred Edward G. Robinson, Genevieve Tobin, and Glenda Farrell in the roles played here by MacLane, Bates, and Sheridan. Both films were based on a book by W.R. Burnett.

I will typically find things to enjoy even when watching lesser films, but about the most exciting thing in this movie for me was recognizing a familiar street I've toured on the Warner Bros. backlot. Otherwise it was one head shake after another. It's just not very enjoyable watching someone make an endless string of bad life choices, straight through till "The End."

WINE, WOMEN AND HORSES was directed by Louis King. It was filmed in black and white by James Van Trees.

WINE, WOMEN AND HORSES is a good print. There are no extras.

Thanks to the Warner Archive for providing a review copy of this DVD. Warner Archive releases are MOD (manufactured on demand) and may be ordered from the Warner Archive Collection at the WBShop or from any online retailers where DVDs and Blu-rays are sold.

4 Comments:

Blogger Patrick said...

Not very often you see Ann Sheridan in a really stinker of a film,is it? Another great review Laura!

6:51 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for your comment. This was disappointing but fortunately her films are indeed typically more entertaining!

Best wishes,
Laura

10:14 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Glen!!

pologies for the belated response to your note, which I much enjoyed. You provided food for those on the film's nonjudgmental tone. Since I first saw this I've been watching more MacLane thanks to the Torchy Blane series, so it's possible I would get more out of seeing him in this another time. (I laughed over your Dick Purcell comment! Yes, he's pretty low on my list...)

I always enjoy thoughtful disagreement -- as you probably know from reading here, I will periodically return to a film I was "iffy" about and see if seeing it in a fresh context changes my mind. Sometimes I like a film better on closer acquaintance (A FOREIGN AFFAIR and IN A LONELY PLACE are two examples), and sometimes I don't budge.

Thank you again!

Best wishes,
Laura

11:08 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi again Glen!

First, my apologies for my typo-filled first line in my previous comment LOL.

I'm glad you were able to pick up the Warner Archive release of this film. I smiled over your Dick Purcell comment. As someone who has a long list of minor players I enjoy myself, I really appreciate your enthusiasm for him! I will try to keep an open mind regarding him when he pops up in my future viewing. :)

Thanks, as always, for your thoughts!

Best wishes,
Laura

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older