Tuesday, May 07, 2019

Last Weekend at Disneyland and Disney California Adventure

Sunday afternoon I headed to the Disneyland Resort with our daughter to check out a couple new things!


Most exciting to me was that, after over a dozen years of rumors that it would be coming "soon," Mickey's PhilharMagic is now in Disney California Adventure.


It had been 11 years since I last saw PhilharMagic -- which by rights should be called Donald's PhilharMagic -- at Disney World. (It wasn't at Disneyland Paris when I visited a decade ago, but opened there last fall.) I've always liked this show and am delighted it's now in Anaheim. Apparently needing fresh attractions to draw Star Wars crowds away from Disneyland this summer finally gave Disney the needed push to install it here.


Mickey's PhilharMagic is a 3D movie in which Donald Duck has adventures during performances of some of Disney's most famous songs. It's now shown in the theater which used to house Muppet Vision 3D (which, incidentally, I never saw). I enjoyed PhilharMagic just as much as I have on my trips to Disney World!


It's always fun to watch candymakers at the parks. This photo was taken at Trolley Treats in California Adventure.


After our time in California Adventure it was on to Disneyland, where it was an absolutely gorgeous evening. Look at those clouds!


Dusk on Main Street U.S.A.


We wanted to be sure to catch Mickey's Mix Magic, a light and fireworks show, before it goes away next month.


I had a good time watching this show, which features light projections in various areas of the park along with fireworks. It seems curious that it's soon leaving after playing less than six months. The 60th Anniversary fireworks show, Disneyland Forever, returns for the summer season.


Exciting news: I have a ticket to be one of the first guests to visit Galaxy's Edge, Disneyland's new Star Wars land, when it opens on May 31, 2019. My ticket is for the 8:00 a.m. to noon time block that day. Watch this space for photos that weekend!


First, though, there are a couple other fun things on the May agenda: The 20th anniversary of the Arthur Lyons Film Noir Festival in Palm Springs and a barbecue at the McCrea Ranch! Stay tuned for coverage of those events and much more.

3 Comments:

Blogger Caftan Woman said...

Keep having fun, and keep sharing. We love it!

6:51 AM  
Blogger Irene said...

Congratulations on scoring entry to Galaxy's Edge! I do longer have a Pass so didn't even try. I will live vicariously through my friends like you :)

I too remember loving Mickey's PhilharMagic at WDW 10 years ago. My daughter and I saw it several times while we were there and I always wished they'd bring it out here - and of course they have - now that I no longer go! LOL I am so glad you enjoyed it. I've read mixed reviews but some people can be so picky. I knew it would not be exactly like the WDW version because of the way our theater is, but I am sure it is still as exciting and funny. Regarding Muppet Vision - I did see it many times and enjoyed it but after awhile it was just a place to go and sit and cool off. The film and 3D was getting old and with newer technology available, it showed. I will miss a Bug's Life which I was glad they brought here. That tune was always stuck in my head afterwards (I can hear it now!) and the line my daughter and I would always sing afterwards - "shoulder high waste, shoulder high waste!" Good times.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you so much, Caftan Woman! I love sharing and am so glad to know you enjoy it.

Always great to hear from you, Irene! Enjoyed your feedback on PhilharMagic. Hope you'll have an opportunity to check it and Galaxy's Edge out at some point. :)

Best wishes,
Laura

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older