Saturday, August 03, 2019

New Book: A Million Feet of Film: The Making of One-Eyed Jacks

There's an interesting new book available for classic film fans in general and Western fans in particular: A MILLION FEET OF FILM: THE MAKING OF ONE-EYED JACKS.

The book is by Western expert Toby Roan, a good friend of this blog who runs the great site 50 Westerns From the 50s. Toby announces the book's publication in this post.

I'm excited to read the book, especially as I owe much of my Western "education" to reading Toby's site over the years; as I've told him, I particularly appreciate him introducing me to Bill Elliott Westerns! He's also led me to Rod Cameron Westerns and lots of other "good stuff" I've enjoyed.

Toby's been working on this project for a long time, and I know it's going to be an interesting and informative read.

I hope to finally watch the 1961 movie itself for the first time in conjunction with reading the book. It was directed by and stars Marlon Brando, but for me the real gems are in the supporting cast: Katy Jurado, Karl Malden, and one of my all-time Western favorites, Ben Johnson. Other great character names in the cast include Slim Pickens, Timothy Carey, Elisha Cook Jr., Rodolfo Acosta, Ray Teal, and Hank Worden.

To order the book please visit Amazon.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Toby Roan said...

Thanks for giving me a plug, Laura. Its so cool to actually have this thing done and out there. The fact that people are liking it is icing on the cake.

11:08 AM  
Blogger StevensScope said...

Toby Roan's new book covering ONE EYED JACKS, is a must-have COMPANION for the recent HI DEF Blue Ray disc- Restoration of this CLASSIC WESTERN from CRITERION FILMS, and WOW! DOES THIS LOOK BEAUTIFUL! There is so much GOOD stuff in Toby's book; a real treasure for all fans of MARLON BRANDO'S MASTERPIECE. And recommended: BEFORE you open page of the book,.. PLEEZE .. see the movie first!!

4:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older