Thursday, January 02, 2020

Tonight's Movie: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

Tonight I caught up with the final film in the current STAR WARS trilogy, STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER (2019).

I honestly wasn't particularly anxious to see it as while I had initially found the prior film, STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (2017), solid, with the passage of time I found that it was the film's flaws, which I wrote about here, which remained at the forefront of my memories.

I was curious how the saga would be wrapped up, though, so off to the theater I went to find out. Fortunately I didn't feel THE RISE OF SKYWALKER's problems were as annoying as in THE LAST JEDI, but the new film still has some significant issues, including the inability to edit an overlong film into a coherent story. I'll share some of my thoughts below, while being as vague about the plot as possible.

First, the film runs 142 minutes, and the first half is kind of a mess. After shoehorning in stories and characters that went nowhere in THE LAST JEDI, the filmmakers bizarrely cut one of those LAST JEDI characters (Rose, played by Kelly Marie Tran) almost entirely out of this film...then turned around and added a brand-new character (Keri Russell) who also served absolutely zero purpose! The film should have been 20 minutes shorter, and leaving Russell on the cutting room floor (or out of the script in the first place) was the place to start.

The meandering first half of the film was honestly fairly dull, a remarkable thing to say about a STAR WARS film. The movie finally caught fire and picked up interest in the second half, thanks to a combination of revelations, action, and glimpses of people and places of STAR WARS past, but I have very different ideas for how Rey's (Daisy Ridley) story should have gone.

I'm trying to review the film that is, rather than the one I wished for, but the problem is that there was a complete lack of setup and foreshadowing; I was like "Say what now?" when her background was revealed, and I know I wasn't the only one. I won't elaborate on what I think should have been done in order to avoid spoilers, but I think there was a more profound way to end her story.

Finally, in terms of criticisms, I have zero interest in seeing Adam Driver (Ben Solo/Kylo Ren) on screen ever again. What an uninteresting drip. Maybe I'll change my mind someday, but I don't get his appeal as an actor. At all.

The best moments in THE RISE OF SKYWALKER were the old familiar characters, sets, music, and "callbacks" -- the things some critics derisively refer to as "fan service" but which are the people and places viewers actually care about and want to see, the moments which strike deep emotional chords because of past history and our connections with them. These scenes are scattered throughout the film, especially in the second half, and made it worthwhile; indeed, a certain "swampy" scene with an X-wing almost single-handedly made the entire movie worth seeing for me. That was a Moment.

Also, a side note, how amazing/odd is it that someone who died almost exactly three years ago is the movie's top-billed actor?

In the end, though it has some very good actors and special moments, this trilogy is kind of an interesting failure for me. THE FORCE AWAKENS (2015) was the best of the trio, and the films which followed never really reached their full potential. That said, they are certainly better films than the prequel trilogy -- after the first two films, I didn't even bother to watch REVENGE OF THE SITH (2005).

If you're not going to watch the original 1977-'83 trilogy, which are among my favorite films ever made and are endlessly rewatchable, it's far better to spend time with a pair of films which actually "feel" like STAR WARS and have coherent, well-plotted stories: ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY (2016) and SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018).

It's also encouraging that at the same time this film has come out, we've all had the deep pleasure of watching STAR WARS done exactly right, thanks to Disney+. I found more STAR WARS joy in a single half hour of THE MANDALORIAN than there was in this film; it's the most purely enjoyable STAR WARS since 1983. Every episode made me smile, and the finale was an absolute gem. Creator Jon Favreau clearly understands STAR WARS and knows how to use familiar worlds in service of a brand-new story.

I can't wait for Season 2 of THE MANDALORIAN next fall, and I'm excited that I'll be attending Star Wars Celebration for the very first time next summer, where I can soak up as much MANDALORIAN info as possible -- not to mention Baby Yoda merchandise!

Parental Advisory: STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER is rated PG-13.

The movie was directed by J.J. Abrams, from a script by Abrams and Chris Terrio. It was filmed by Dan Mindel, who also shot THE FORCE AWAKENS.

A trailer is here.

6 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

Interesting how you felt about this movie. As you know, both my daughter and son-in-law saw the movie before I did and thoroughly enjoyed it and felt it answered all the questions. They were very satisfied and do plan on seeing it again this weekend. I was finally able to see it this weekend at the Pacific Theaters in Lakewood in theater #1. One of the few large theaters that hasn't been chopped up and converted to stadium seating (or even you have to pick your own seat first). Interestingly this is the theater I took my daughter to when she was young the first time they re-released the movie. I remember how that began her love for all things Star Wars. The theater that day was packed with people dressed up and carrying light sabers. When the movie began, and the music played people waved their light sabers around. A moment I will never forget.

Now to this end of the saga movie. Unlike you, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I even enjoyed the previous movie. I really didn't care or even notice that Rose had been mostly left out! I didn't realize the one character was Keri Russel until the credits rolled - I was like, who was she? But I agree that whole part could have easily been left out. I felt the way they used footage of Carrie Fisher was well done. I had avoided all previews and did not read or listen to anything ahead of time so I was well and truly surprised at Rey's heritage but it did make sense to me. As far as Adam Driver - totally agree with you on that one!!! I have never liked him from the get go, even looks wise - forget the acting (if you want to call it that). I would say he was the biggest disappointment to me in all the films.

Overall, I really enjoyed the movie, the action and the way they wrapped it all up. I also agree with you about Mandalorian! Best show ever! I hope that some of the other things in the pipeline for Disney + are as well done as that show has been!!!

8:13 AM  
Blogger Margot Shelby said...

There's only one thing I can say. Whatever higher power is involved, please keep Jar Jar Abrams from making any more movies!

8:45 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Irene, I loved all your comments including that special moment with your daughter years ago. When they were young we took our two oldest children to see the original STAR WARS at the "Big Newport" where we had each seen EMPIRE and JEDI, and that was also a very special experience.

I'm especially interesting in the perspectives of longtime fans such as yourself regarding this film and am so glad you had the chance to catch it also. How interesting you didn't even recognize Keri Russell -- it's understandable given the mask she wore for most of the film. Also interesting to know I'm not the only one baffled by Adam Driver!

I will probably rewatch this at some point and see if I feel any differently -- it may help that next time I'll know what to expect going in. Like you, I had successfully avoided spoilers before I saw it.

Isn't THE MANDALORIAN soooooo good?!!!! It really puts me in that "STAR WARS happy place." Let's cross our fingers that the other STAR WARS shows, not to mention the upcoming Marvel series, are just as good. (I also loved the documentary series THE IMAGINEERING STORY, it was excellent!)

Best wishes,
Laura

9:16 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Margot, you made me laugh! I take it you weren't impressed. :)

My daughters tell me I may want to try Abrams' SUPER 8 (2011) sometime...but then, I'm a Kyle Chandler fan.

Best wishes,
Laura

9:17 AM  
Blogger DKoren said...

I agree with most of this, but I actually ended up enjoying the first half more than the second, because that last space battle simply made me roll my eyes. The movie needed a lot of editing, and there were character choices etc. that just kind of made no sense (like Rose and adding the new character, as you mention). I suspect if JJ Abrams had control over all three movies, the trilogy would have made sense and flowed nicely. Changing directors really destroyed continuity. My sister was far harsher on it than I was, at least there was some parts I liked, but it's low on the SW movie totem pole. Rogue One and Solo definitely blow it away! (But I still love Force Awakens from this trilogy very very much.)

And yeah, I agree wholeheartedly on The Mandalorian. It has given me all the Star Wars love and joy that the movie failed to offer. I love that show so much. I like following new characters through familiar landscapes. Really looking forward to Season 2.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Irene said...

You have not seen Super 8?!!!! That was a great movie - put it on your list :)

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older