Saturday, March 21, 2020

Tonight's Movie: Melody Time (1948)

In this uncertain time, "comfort viewing" is very much in order, and what makes better comfort viewing than an animated film from Disney?

For me tonight that film was MELODY TIME (1948), one of Disney's "package" films of the '40s, a style which began with FANTASIA (1940). Particularly after WWII, the package films were more affordable projects for the studio; they're collections of cartoon shorts of various lengths, set to music and combined into a single film "package." Disney package films previously reviewed here include MAKE MINE MUSIC (1946) and FUN AND FANCY FREE (1947), to name two.

Although I own the VHS tape of MELODY TIME, which my children watched growing up, I'd never "upgraded" it to DVD because of my annoyance that Disney censored both the video and DVD releases for U.S. audiences, digitally removing Pecos Bill's cigarette.

However, I recently learned that the Region 2 DVD available in the UK was, for unknown reasons, left intact by Disney. Since I have an all-region DVD player I ordered the movie immediately and was able to enjoy watching it this evening for the first time in many years.

The opening credits alone will warm the heart of Disney fans, reading the lists of familiar Disney Legends who worked on the film. One of the most significant contributors was Mary Blair; she worked on "color and styling" for the movie, including the "Once Upon a Wintertime" segment. Some of the artwork is breathtakingly beautiful.

The movie combines terrific '40s musicians with gorgeous visuals for seven segments:

*Frances Langford sings "Once Upon a Wintertime"

*Freddy Martin and His Orchestra perform "Bumble Boogie"

*Dennis Day sings and narrates "The Legend of Johnny Appleseed"

*The Andrews Sisters sing "Little Toot"

*Fred Waring and the Pennsylvanians perform "Trees"

*Ethel Smith plays the organ in "Blame It on the Samba," with vocals by the Dinning Sisters

*Roy Rogers and the Sons of the Pioneers perform in the final segment, "Pecos Bill," with live-action appearances by Disney child actors Luana Patten and Bobby Driscoll

At just 75 minutes, MELODY TIME is short and sweet, a relaxing diversion with enjoyable music and some lovely visuals. The artistic styles range from Blair's pastels in "Once Upon a Wintertime" to BAMBI (1942) style watercolor backgrounds in "Trees" to vividly wild, over-the-top colors in "Blame It on the Samba," which reunites Donald Duck and Jose Carioca of THE THREE CABALLEROS (1945).

MELODY TIME was just the kind of light yet extremely well-executed viewing I needed today, and I very much enjoyed it.

For fun additional reading on this film, check out Disney D23's article "Did You Know? 10 Tuneful Facts About Walt Disney's MELODY TIME" by Jim Fanning.

4 Comments:

Blogger Caftan Woman said...

Yep. I grew up watching Pecos "roll that smoke and lit it" and it never influenced me to become a smoker. Our Gavin kept going back over the DVD thinking he had missed a spot or tried to clean it because it must have skipped. He's used to it now. Melody Time has been getting a lot of play on his weekend home visits lately. In fact, his dad relates that on a recent trip to the mall, he started singing Once Upon a Wintertime. Lucky shoppers!

5:04 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

It's interesting, I haven't checked it out myself but I'm told Disney is showing the original MELODY TIME print on their Disney+ streaming service, instead running a general disclaimer before the film. Hooray! That "skipping" effect and the awkward edits were so annoying.

Love "Once Upon a Wintertime"!

Best wishes,
Laura

8:56 AM  
Blogger Lee R said...

I'm not a big fan of Disney, there's really only about 5 Disney features I like. But Melody Time is one, at first it was a favorite because of the Johnny Appleseed segment. Now this segment was shown several years in a row when I was a kid in Elementary school in the auditorium in the '60's. All us kids would march thru the hall and enter this big room they'd turn down the lights (this was back in the day of films shown on 16mm projectors) and on would come Johnny Appleseed. I loved that toon and was thrilled years back when I was finally able to buy it for myself. Now that I've seen the whole Melody Time I also really love the Roy Rogers segment. The color in it alone is FANTASTIC! I only wish Roy's own color movies were 1/2 as good. Plus the prairie song he sings is great with the animation combined. Great stuff.

6:09 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'm glad to know you enjoy this one also, Lee. I agree, the color is marvelous. I'm pretty sure I saw "Johnny Appleseed" in school too, although I don't specifically remember this one. I vividly remember other things we saw such as Disney's "I'm No Fool" shorts.

Best wishes,
Laura

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older