Saturday, May 23, 2020

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...Kino Lorber has more new sets on the way in early August: The Carole Lombard Collection I, the Tony Curtis Collection, and the Audie Murphy Collection. All will be out on August 4th. Details:

*The Lombard set has FAST AND LOOSE (1930), MAN OF THE WORLD (1931), and NO MAN OF HER OWN (1932), with commentary tracks on the latter two films by Samm Deighan and Nick Pinkerton, respectively. I'm not sure whether FAST AND LOOSE has ever been released on DVD.

*The Curtis set includes THE PERFECT FURLOUGH (1958), THE GREAT IMPOSTER (1960), and 40 POUNDS OF TROUBLE (1960). All of the films have commentaries, with David Del Valle and C. Courtney Joyner on THE PERFECT FURLOUGH, while Kat Ellinger covers the other two films.

*The Murphy set contains THE DUEL AT SILVER CREEK (1952), RIDE A CROOKED TRAIL (1958), and NO NAME ON THE BULLET (1959). Toby Roan provides the commentary track for the first two films listed, while Steve Mitchell and Gary Gerani team up for NO NAME ON THE BULLET. There's a little more on this set at Toby's site, 50 Westerns From the 50s.

...And coming from Kino Lorber in September: DEATH ON THE NILE (1978). Incidentally the new version of the story directed by and starring Kenneth Branagh is currently due in theaters on October 9th.

...A "Classics for Comfort" blogathon last week included great entries by Caftan Woman, who highlights STAGE TO CHINO (1940) and MARGIE (1946), and Ruth at Silver Screenings, whose list includes YOU WERE NEVER LOVELIER (1942).

...CineSavant Glenn Erickson recently posted reviews of Kino's POOL OF LONDON (1951), which sounds quite interesting, and the Warner Archive's BLOOD ON THE MOON (1948), which I reviewed here a few days ago.

...Coming in June from the Warner Archive: Doris Day starring in ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS (1948) on Blu-ray. The Archive's Facebook page indicates it's taken from a scan of a nitrate print.

...Also coming from the Warner Archive: Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland on Blu-ray in STRIKE UP THE BAND (1940).

...The HBO Max streaming service debuts next week. So far I haven't seen anything that causes me to want to subscribe. It sounds like anything of interest to me is already in my movie library.

...The Disney Insider interviews Leonard Maltin on his career as a Disney historian. He tells some fantastic stories, including a magical day on the Disney lot where he got to see the then-unavailable THE RELUCTANT DRAGON (1943). I especially love that anecdote as I was lucky to watch that film on the Disney lot myself in 2016.

...From KCET: Southern California drive-ins.

...The pre-Code THE SIN OF NORA MORAN (1933), which had its TCM premiere earlier this month, is coming to Blu-ray from the Film Detective in July.

...Welcome news: See's Candies has reopened their candy kitchens.

...The excellent Elvis Presley film KING CREOLE (1958) was just released on Blu-ray in the Paramount Presents line. Mike Clark has a review at Media Play News.

...Notable Passings: Ken Osmond, who played Eddie Haskell on TV's LEAVE IT TO BEAVER and served 18 years with the LAPD, has passed on at the age of 76...Former child actor Martin Spellman, who played Robert Preston as a child in BEAU GESTE (1939) and appeared as Skinny in BOYS TOWN (1938), has died at the age of 94...Jon Whiteley, who was awarded a special juvenile Oscar for THE KIDNAPPERS (1953), has died at 75...Charles Lippincott, the man behind the ad campaign for the original STAR WARS (1977), has died at 80.

...For additional recent links of interest to classic film fans, please check out my May 16th roundup.

Have a great week!

8 Comments:

Blogger Jerry Entract said...

Kino are being very busy at present, Laura. I can personally recommend "POOL OF LONDON" as one of Ealing Studio's dramas with lots of London location shooting, including both the docks and the City. Quite unusual for its time to have a black actor, Earl Cameron, at the centre of the story.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Caftan Woman said...

Such sad news on the passings front.

Thanks for the shout out. I hope people do check out the blogathon for the varied movies and the similar movies.

I have those Audie Murphy movies, but I don't have "those" Audie Murphy movies. What is a girl to do?

4:20 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Jerry! Kino's release slate this year is rather amazing, isn't it?!

Thanks so much for your thoughts on POOL OF LONDON, definitely have to check it out. Sounds like an interesting premise, and you know I love location filming in London!!

Hope you and yours are doing well.

Best wishes,
Laura

6:11 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Happy to share your post, Caftan Woman. It's fun that we share such similar tastes in movies. :)

Always hard to see those who helped make the movies and TV we love pass from the scene, isn't it?

I know what you mean about the releases, it's always a question whether to double (or triple?) dip on an upgraded print!

Best wishes,
Laura

6:20 PM  
Blogger Seth said...

Thanks for the link to the Leonard Maltin interview. I just ordered an early copy of his DISNEY FILMS book (since I'm primarily interested in the Walt-era catalog anyway), along with THE BLUE GARDENIA, from Thriftbooks.

That KCET article is interesting, mostly because I expected more Huell. The Mission Tiki episode is fun, but where's his visit to Broguiereā€™s or In-N-Out? Maybe it's on my mind because one of my favorite podcasts, HUELL'S GOLD, has just released two episodes on his trip to In-N-Out.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Seth! I'm glad I could share the interview. THE DISNEY FILMS was one of the first film books on my shelves as a teenager. I got to know it thanks to the library and then got my own copy. Wonderful news that you were able to pick it up -- and THE BLUE GARDENIA, too!

I love those Huell episodes you mention! I follow the HUELL'S GOLD podcast account on Twitter and noticed the In-N-Out episode, I need to make time to give it a listen. :)

Hope you are doing well during this strange time. It's always great to hear from you! :)

Best wishes,
Laura

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Frank Gibbons said...

I think "King Creole" is Elvis' best movie. It's too bad he stopped working with directors like Michael Curtiz and Don Siegal, writers like Nunnally Johnson and Clifford Odets and veteran actors like Dean Jagger and Wendell Corey. I don't know how true it is but I've read that he was offered Ricky Nelson's part in "Rio Bravo" but Colonel Tom Parker wouldn't accept less than top billing for Elvis. Similarly, I've read that Elvis turned down the part of Brick Pollitt in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof". Instead, he would eventually go down the "Harum Scarum" road. It's nice to think of Elvis having a legacy of important films. Oh well, he's still our Elvis.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Frank!

Just realized this fell through the proverbial cracks as far as answering...I haven't seen that many Elvis films yet but I was impressed. I'd say it's my favorite along with one that's completely different, VIVA LAS VEGAS. Everyone in KING CREOLE was terrific, including Elvis. I still think about that evocative opening with the vendor singing "Crawfish!" and Elvis singing in the window. Terrific stuff.

Best wishes,
Laura

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older