Thursday, May 07, 2020

Quick Preview of TCM in July

A few days ago Turner Classic Movies released the preview of its July schedule.

Tony Curtis is the July Star of the Month. I believe it's the first time he's received this honor.

17 Curtis films are scheduled to play on Monday evenings in July. With the exceptions of WINCHESTER '73 (1950) and THE ALL-AMERICAN (1953), the Curtis films shown will be his work from the latter half of the '50s and on into the '60s. (June 2020 Update: THE ALL-AMERICAN is no longer on next month's schedule.)

It would have been wonderful to see some of his less frequently seen films such as THE MIDNIGHT STORY (1957) or more of his early '50s titles, but his Universal Pictures films are more expensive for TCM to license, for anyone who may be wondering.

Director John Ford will be a "special theme" every Friday.

Wednesday evenings are currently left blank on the schedule, pending a future announcement of the month's TCM Spotlight theme. I'll update this post with additional information once that's announced. (June 2020 Update: The Wednesday evening TCM Spotlight theme is Feel Good Films. What a terrific idea for our current times!)

The July Noir Alley titles will be THE SIGN OF THE RAM (1948), BODYGUARD (1948), THREE STRANGERS (1946), and THE BREAKING POINT (1950).

Filmmakers receiving multifilm tributes include Olivia de Havilland, George Cukor, Samuel Fuller, Vincent Price, Yul Brynner, Charlie Chaplin, Jessica Tandy, Max Von Sydow, Ginger Rogers, Natalie Wood, Lizabeth Scott, Jacques Tourneur, and Charles Coburn.

I'm especially pleased TCM will be airing LOUISA (1950) in honor of Coburn. I've never seen this film, which costars Ronald Reagan and Ruth Hussey.

July themes on TCM include horses, marriage, reporters, Broadway, birds, Bastille Day, and the FALCON movie series.

And, of course, there's a full lineup of appropriately themed films on Independence Day, including, as usual, THE MUSIC MAN (1962).

Also of note: The silent Ernst Lubitsch film SO THIS IS PARIS (1926), which I saw at the 2017 TCM Classic Film Festival, is on the schedule as part of a day of films with titles beginning with the word "So." (Update: I'm told this title is on the schedule in error. I'll keep tabs on this issue and update as more information is available.) (June 2020 Update: The updated information I received was correct, SO THIS IS PARIS is no longer on the schedule.)

I'll have a closer look at the July schedule posted here at the end of June. In the meantime, Edward G. Robinson is currently the May Star of the Month, with Ann Sheridan coming in June.

Update: For more on TCM in July 2020, please visit TCM in July: Highlights.

4 Comments:

Blogger Caftan Woman said...

The Falcon is coming back? I so love the Falcon and the Falcon's brother.

I hope to find The Great Imposter and Captain Newman MD on the Curtis lineup.

I keep pushing folks to see The Breaking Point. If they won't listen to me, they'll be sure to listen to Eddie. All hail Noir Alley.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Lee R said...

Louisa became an instant favorite of mine the 1st time I saw it. I think I saw it on the old AMC when they used to be worth watching. All the people in it are perfect for their roles. And the interplay between Charles Coburn & Spring Byington is priceless. I think it's their best movie. Ronald Reagan was very amusing in his role too. I tell you the whole movie was a joy. You'll love it, I'm sure. This is one of the movies I like to "screen" when folks come over to the house.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Lee R said...

Ooh. I just remembered, another really great part of the movie is the rivalry that goes on between Coburn & the great Edmund Gwenn. This is why I say the casting in this movie was perfect. I wish Coburn, Byington & Gwenn would have made more movies together. I have seen Rocket Man which also starred Charles & Spring that was good, but the best was Louisa.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Caftan Woman, I love the Falcon too! :) Would you believe I've not seen THE BREAKING POINT yet? And I even own the Criterion print. So many movies, so little time... Great to hear your endorsement of that title.

Lee, I very much enjoyed your thoughts on LOUISA. It sounds like a movie I will definitely love! Universal made some really good family films in the early '50s. SALLY AND SAINT ANNE with Edmund Gwenn is one I grew up watching on local TV and still enjoy. I'm not at all familiar with THE ROCKET MAN, which I see was a 20th Century-Fox release, and I'll be on the lookout for it!

Best wishes,
Laura

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older