Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Tonight’s Movie: Dakota (1945)

I continued my ongoing quest to see all of John Wayne’s 1940s movies with the Republic Pictures Western DAKOTA (1945), costarring Vera Hruba Ralston.

While DAKOTA isn’t on a par with my very favorite non-Ford/non-Hawks ‘40s Wayne Westerns, TALL IN THE SADDLE (1944) and ANGEL AND THE BADMAN (1947), I found DAKOTA a pleasant treat.

Wayne and Ralston play John and Sandy Devlin, who as the movie opens are eloping with her wealthy father (Hugo Haas) and brothers nipping at their heels.

John was formerly a professional gambler, hence the anger of Sandy’s papa, but he’s now ready to settle down and build a life with Sandy.  John intends that they will head to California, but headstrong Sandy, knowing the railroad will soon be extended into Dakota Territory, buys tickets for Dakota instead; she sees great business opportunities for investing their nest egg.

John is a doting bridegroom and doesn’t mind the change of plans overly much, but he and Sandy soon find themselves having to deal with unscrupulous men who will stop at nothing to control the future railroad land themselves, headed by Bender (Ward Bond) and Collins (Mike Mazurki). Bender and Collins repeatedly try to thwart the Devlins’ plans, including stealing their money and framing John for murder.

I found this film a quite a nice surprise, starting in the opening scenes.  The credits seen over a huge mansion gives the viewer the impression that a ponderous historical “saga” might be in the offing, but the minute the credits are over the movie jolts into action, as Sandy throws her luggage out a window in order to elope with John.  I was pleased to discover that the movie was quite funny at times, including in this initial elopement sequence.

The movie is a bit unusual in that a romantic couple marry at the start of the movie and remain happily committed to one another.  It sometimes happens in other “frontier” films, such as Ford’s DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK (1939), but often such films find a couple later weathering marital difficulties. This is a much more lighthearted “marriage movie” than the norm; the couple face challenges, but are never driven apart.  What’s more, they seem to be having a genuinely good time together.

Sandy is sweet but also headstrong and manipulative; however, perhaps she has to be in order to hold her own against a husband who’s a force of nature.

Wayne is as charismatic as ever in this “middle” section of his career between STAGECOACH (1939) and his Ford/Hawks Westerns.  He is thoroughly enjoyable to watch; as big a star as he was, sometimes I don’t think he gets his full due for being one of the most compelling screen actors in film history.

I’ve rather come to appreciate the oft-maligned Ralston, especially since revisiting JUBILEE TRAIL (1954) a few years ago.  She won’t be mistaken for a great actress, but she’s quite personable here, energetic and fun to watch, and she has a nice chemistry with Wayne. Once upon a time I groaned when I saw her name and avoided her films, which might be one reason I hadn’t seen this film previously, but no longer.

I did wonder in passing how Sandy had time to prepare such elaborate hairstyles while traveling, especially without the help of a maid!

Bond’s villainous Bender is another interesting character, completely ruthless yet courtly with the ladies.  In a nerve-wracking sequence midway through the movie we learn that he has unexpectedly saved Sandy’s life, and he comments to her at one point that her husband is a lucky man.  However, he also doesn’t hesitate to kill a man and put John at risk of a lynching!

The story is interesting and moves briskly over the course of 82 minutes. While not a classic, it’s a solid three-star type film I quite enjoyed, and I’ll be returning to it again in the future.

The deep cast is rounded out by Wayne’s future RIO BRAVO (1959) costar, Walter Brennan, as a boat captain, and Ona Munson (Belle of GONE WITH THE WIND) as a saloon entertainer. Also on hand are Olive Blakeney, Paul Fix, Grant Withers, Jack La Rue, Nick Stewart, Jonathan Hale, Pierre Watkin, Robert Barrat, and Paul Hurst.

The screenplay was by Lawrence Hazard from Howard Estabrook’s adaptation of a story by Carl Foreman.  Joseph Kane directed, with black and white cinematography by Jack Marta.

DAKOTA is available on DVD and Blu-ray from Kino Lorber. The DVD print and sound are excellent.

The Kino Lorber disc includes a commentary track by Westerns expert Toby Roan and a gallery of five trailers for additional films available from Kino Lorber.

10 Comments:

Blogger Margot Shelby said...

This is not one of favorite Wayne movies, because - you guessed it - of Ralston. Like many people I find her acting (I'll be charitable :)) a bit annoying. I had the same problem in Jubilee Trail which I really like, and there she was up against actors who simply out-acted her.

Another problem with Dakota is that it's very stage bound, always a bad thing for a Western. Most genres work perfectly fine entirely filmed on the backlot, it doesn't word with Westerns.

5:35 PM  
Blogger barrylane said...

No question, I am with Laura on this. Not only is John Wayne a terrific actor, but the supporting cast is estimable, and Laura named them all. As for Vera, she is okay here, and better than that in Jubille Trail. I thought the other leads, especially the men, Forrest Tucker and Ray Middleton, just not plugged in. Now if Clark Gable had played Tuckers part....

8:33 PM  
Blogger Jerry Entract said...

'One of the most compelling actors in screen history'...... That's exactly right, Laura! And he could be a very fine actor too. His own definition of it was 'I react.

1:00 AM  
Blogger Caftan Woman said...

I look forward to seeing this. Like you, I found Ralston to give a fine performance in Jubilee Trail. I think she had found a solid character player niche with that character that should have been developed.

I thought she was totally miscast in The Fighting Kentuckian, but her co-star "Duke" didn't let that hinder his usual gallant acting toward his leading lady.

5:24 AM  
Blogger Margot Shelby said...

I agree with everyone that Wayne was a great actor, no doubt.

About Clark Gable taking Tucker's role in Jubilee Trail, I don't see why. I like Tucker.

7:47 AM  
Blogger barrylane said...

Tucker is not a leading man, and while he did have a few cracks at it, there was no level of success, The Gable suggestion came from Brian Garfield and as Gable was pretty ner definitive, I went with it. When Claude and I saw Jubille trail for the first time, about twenty years ago, at one point she turned to me and said, 'your heart goes to them.' Exactly.

8:27 AM  
Blogger Margot Shelby said...

Well, I can only say Tucker as a leading man worked for me just fine. By 1954 Gable was not quite Rhett Buttler material anymore.

9:16 AM  
Blogger barrylane said...

Actually, 1954 was a pretty good year for Gable; he had Mogambo and the reissue of Gone With The Wind, putting him front and center in the top ten.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I was on the road vacationing when this posted and am belatedly catching up with the comments! I really enjoyed what everyone had to say.

Margot, that's interesting you have the same problem with Ralston that I previously had. In terms of being stagebound, generally you're right -- I think I have lower expectations in that regard of Wayne's early to mid '40s Westerns so I was willing to accept back projections and second unit work. It would have been nice if they'd "opened it up" more and done some location work.

Glad to know you liked this one as well, Barrylane! (It's interesting, as someone who read the Gwen Bristow novel multiple times I was quite disappointed with the casting when I first saw the film many years ago...but on revisiting it I was quite satisfied! Funny how watching something in a different context can change your perspective.)

Jerry, I like that about Wayne reacting. He was *so* good and could do so much without saying a word.

Caftan Woman, THE FIGHTING KENTUCKIAN is another '40s Wayne film I've not seen. Fortunately I was able to record it not long before our cable system dumped the Encore Westerns Channel so it's in my "watch" stack! Enjoyed your take on it and JUBILEE TRAIL.

Thanks to you all for a most enjoyable conversation!

Best wishes,
Laura

11:54 AM  
Blogger barrylane said...

Laura, the adjustment you made is completely understood, but imagine Jubilee Trail, the same script the same director, being made at 20th, MGM, or Paramount. Then think being shot, again the same story and screenplay at Republic by John Ford with Maureen O'Hara and John Wayne toplined.

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older