Saturday, January 30, 2021

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet... 

...Exciting news from Kino Lorber: The company has announced that THE WEB (1947) is "coming soon."  THE WEB stars Edmond O'Brien, Ella Raines, Vincent Price, and William Bendix, and it's not had a previous release on DVD or VHS, so this is great news indeed.  I had the good fortune to review it thanks to seeing it at the 2018 Arthur Lyons Film Noir Festival in Palm Springs.

...The Frommer's travel website has an article by Jason Cochran on James A. FitzPatrick's TravelTalks shorts. I've reviewed the Warner Archive Collection's TravelTalks sets here, beginning with Volume I.

...Coming in May from TCM and Running Press: SUMMER MOVIES: 30 SUN-DRENCHED CLASSICS by John Malahy, with a foreword by Leonard Maltin. I hope to review that title here.

...Also coming from TCM and Running Press: A revised and expanded edition of Eddie Muller's classic DARK CITY: THE LOST WORLD OF FILM NOIR.  I was fortunate to have Eddie sign my copy of the original edition of his book at the 2011 Noir City Film Festival in Hollywood.

...Dan Heaton takes a look at the classic 1966 Disneyland special DISNEYLAND AROUND THE SEASONS for The Tomorrow Society. The show can be streamed on Disney+, and it's also part of the wonderful Walt Disney Treasures set Secrets, Stories & Magic.  (Given how much those Disney Treasures sets cost now, I'm really glad I purchased them as they were released!)

...Here's a fun recent post by Mark at Where Danger Lives on the programmer WHY GIRLS LEAVE HOME (1945) starring Lola Lane, Sheldon Leonard, and Pamela Blake.  Long considered lost, it's apparently now "findable" out there in Internet-land for those who are good at searching... 

...Just last week in my review of CALCUTTA (1947) I sang the praises of Alan Ladd's voice.  With unknowingly perfect timing, my friend Aurora has posted some wonderful links to Alan Ladd's radio performances at Once Upon a Screen.  She links to many of his Lux Radio Theatre broadcasts, along with episodes of his series BOX 13, which I'm really looking forward to hearing.

...Glenn Erickson has reviewed the new Warner Archive Collection Blu-ray release of ROOM FOR ONE MORE (1952), starring Cary Grant and Betsy Drake.  I'll be reviewing that here in the near future.

...I always enjoy my visits to Riding the High Country, where Colin's recent reviews including the enjoyable George Montgomery Western CANYON RIVER (1956).  I reviewed that one here back in 2013.

...Speaking of Westerns, Jeff Arnold is blogging again!  He's left his Blogspot site and may now be found here.  His latest review is of THE STRANGER WORE A GUN (1953) starring Randolph Scott, and I'm glad to see that Jeff has kind words for my fave James Millican.  Jeff's new site is now in my blogroll at the left, listed as "Jeff Arnold's West (New Site)"; I left the previous link up for access to his past posts.

...Notable Passing: I was very sorry to learn that Loretta Young's son Christopher Lewis passed away last week at the age of 76.  His death was announced by his wife Linda.  I had the good fortune to meet Chris and Linda (both seen here) in conjunction with covering the 2014 Centennial Tribute to Loretta Young, and they couldn't have been nicer or more helpful.  My sincere condolences to Linda and all who will miss Chris.

...More Notable Passings: Marie Harmon,who appeared in "B" Westerns such as SPRINGTIME IN TEXAS (1945) with Jimmy Wakely and NIGHTTIME IN NEVADA (1948) with Roy Rogers, has passed away at the age of 97.  She also played bit roles in numerous film from 1943 to 1949...Actor Bruce Kirby, father of the late actor Bruno Kirby (WHEN HARRY MET SALLY), has died at 95.  Bruce Kirby played Sgt. Kramer on TV's COLUMBO...Cicely Tyson passed on last week at 96, the same week her memoir JUST AS I AM was published.  She gave interviews about the book shortly before her passing...Cloris Leachman also left us last week, at the age of 94.

...For additional recent links of interest to classic film fans, please check out my January 23rd roundup.

4 Comments:

Blogger Hamlette (Rachel) said...

Box 13 is extremely fun. I was a fan of it even before I became a fan of Alan Ladd! Just a fun, quirky mystery show. My kids like listening to them with me, too :-)

2:30 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you so much for the recommendation, Rachel! And how great your kids listen to it also.
I've left Aurora's page of links open so I can click anytime I have the free time to listen.

Best wishes,
Laura

6:08 PM  
Blogger Seth said...

We'd been working our way through the TravelTalks sets, but it's been some time since we've visited them, so thanks for the article and reminder.

The new TCM title looks interesting. It may be another book to add to my library.

I too am glad I got the Walt Disney Treasures when I did; in fact, I picked up the D23 Premium Collection through the Disney Store website years ago. It was expensive at the time, since it includes nearly everything in the individual sets (the big exception being the Zorro series, which I've since acquired), but it now looks like a steal when compared to today's prices.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I really enjoy the TravelTalks, Seth. They make a great "intro" to a movie when there's time for both a short and a movie!

I'm looking forward to the summer movies book!

That's great about your Disney Treasures collection. I bought all of them as they were released -- our kids were small then so they were a good excuse for my splurging on the purchases! The only one I didn't buy on release was MICKEY MOUSE IN BLACK AND WHITE -- I did pick it up on eBay a few years ago to complete the collection. It was about $30 more than the original price, so it was pricey, but even so, compared to current prices I'm really glad I got it then!

Best wishes,
Laura

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older