Saturday, August 14, 2021

Quick Preview of TCM in September

Thanks once again to the MovieCollectorOhio site, I've been able to take an advance peek at the September schedule for Turner Classic Movies.

The September Star of the Month is Paul Robeson. Several of his films will be shown on Sunday evenings. A documentary on Robeson is also part of the lineup.

After a break for August's Summer Under the Stars festival, Noir Alley returns to its usual Saturday night and Sunday morning schedule in September.

The September Noir Alley titles will be CLOUDBURST (1951) with Robert Preston and Elizabeth Sellars, DRIVE A CROOKED ROAD (1954) with Mickey Rooney and Dianne Foster, HUMAN DESIRE (1954) with Glenn Ford and Gloria Grahame, and HELL BOUND (1957) starring John Russell and June Blair. I love that some of these titles are a little more "off the beaten path."

Filmmakers receiving multifilm tributes in September include Alan Ladd, Eleanor Parker, George Brent, Burt Lancaster, Gordon MacRae, Elia Kazan, Lauren Bacall, Claire Dodd, and Deborah Kerr. There's also a memorial tribute to Ned Beatty.

September themes include school, orphans, adventure films, farmers, disaster movies, the Navy, '30s romantic comedies, Westerns, MGM musicals, and films with the word "autumn" in the title.

I'll have a detailed look at TCM's September schedule posted here around the end of August.

Update: For more on TCM in September 2021, please visit TCM in September: Highlights.

.

2 Comments:

Blogger dfordoom said...

I think I've said this before but DRIVE A CROOKED ROAD is a rather cool little noir, and Mickey Rooney makes an excellent noir protagonist.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you so much for reminding me of DRIVE A CROOKED ROAD. I've been hoping I might catch that one for the first time on a big screen at a film noir fest but I may end up just pulling out my DVD and watching it! Really interesting cast for me including Jack Kelly (who I met a couple times) and Dianne Foster (whose son has been our family's oral surgeon!).

Best wishes,
Laura

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older