Saturday, September 18, 2021

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...There's a brand-new trailer for Steven Spielberg's upcoming version of WEST SIDE STORY (2021).

...A new book is coming next month from film historian Joseph McBride: BILLY WILDER: DANCING ON THE EDGE will be published by Columbia University Press. McBride is the author of many fine film books, including HOW DID LUBITSCH DO IT? and JOHN FORD; the latter was cowritten with Michael Wilmington and is one of the earliest books in my film reference library.

...Speaking of books, there are currently serious supply chain issues to keep in mind for this fall, especially when it comes to Christmas shopping. Preorder upcoming books of interest to increase the chances of receiving them, as books may be unable to go back to press in time to fill Christmas orders.

...Coming soon to Blu-ray from Kino Lorber Studio Classics: GOLDEN EARRINGS (1947) starring Marlene Dietrich and Ray Milland, directed by Mitchell Leisen.

...Clint Eastwood, age 91, might be the oldest American to direct and star in a major movie, the new CRY MACHO (2021). Kenneth Turan talked to Eastwood for the Los Angeles Times, and Justin Chang reviewed the film for the same paper.

...The Los Angeles Times also recently published an article on the development of the Academy Museum in Los Angeles, which opens September 30th. I'm scheduled to take a member tour on September 27th.

...Here's Annette Bochenek on Ann Blyth's blueberry muffins at her site Hometowns to Hollywood.

...New from The Film Detective: A LIFE AT STAKE (1955) on Blu-ray and DVD. Angela Lansbury and Keith Andes star. CineSavant Glenn Erickson reviews the release at Trailers From Hell.

...Glenn has also reviewed Indicator's Columbia Noir #4 set, being released in the UK this month. I linked to more details on this set in my September 4th link roundup.

...I enjoyed reading Colin's review of THE ACCUSED (1949) at his blog Riding the High Country. I enjoyed seeing it a few years ago at the Noir City Film Festival in Hollywood. I'm looking forward to reviewing the upcoming Blu-ray from Kino Lorber Studio Classics.  Loretta Young, Robert Cummings, and Wendell Corey star, directed by William Dieterle.

...SiriusXM is looking to grow its customer base beyond people who listen to satellite radio in the car. My husband, as a matter of fact, listens to their old time radio station at home several nights a week.

...Raquel Stecher was recently at the Toronto International Film Festival, where she reviewed the new documentary JULIA (2021), about Julia Child. I'm hoping to catch this one! She reviewed a number of other films including a new documentary on musician Oscar Peterson.

...Notable Passings: Actor Don Collier, who played ranch foreman Sam Butler on TV's THE HIGH CHAPARRAL (1967-71), has died at the age of 92. He was also in SEVEN WAYS FROM SUNDOWN (1960) with Audie Murphy, a trio of '60s John Wayne Westerns, and numerous TV shows...Ruth Olay, who was once secretary to director Preston Sturges and became a jazz singer, has passed away at 97.

...For additional recent links of interest to classic film fans, please check out my September 11th roundup.

7 Comments:

Blogger Vienna said...

Looking forward to the new Billy Wilder book. Hadn’t heard of the Angela Lansbury film A Life at Stake - great review by Glenn Erickson. Not sure about a new West Side Story. The original was so perfect.. still, Stephen Sondheim ,on Stephen Colbert ,praised it. Nice to see the 90 year old Sondheim on the set with Spielberg.
Unfortunately I couldn’t read any of the Los Angeles Times articles without subscribing.

1:11 AM  
Anonymous Colin McGuigan said...

Laura, once again I want to say thank you for adding a link to my site in your roundup - much appreciated.

Colin

10:18 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Vienna! I'm really curious about A LIFE AT STAKE, especially after reading in Glenn's review that there's some nice "vintage" footage of Los Angeles in the movie. Like you, I'm not sure about WEST SIDE STORY. Broadway musicals are revived all the time -- I saw a great production a few years ago -- but as you say, the original was perfect. So sorry about the L.A. Times being behind a paywall. I try to limit linking to paywalled sources (i.e., New York Times, Washington Post) most of the time due to this problem, but once in a while like to link to the "local" paper.

Colin, you're very welcome. I really enjoy your thoughtful writeups, which invariably interest me in visiting -- or revisiting -- a movie!

Best wishes,
Laura

4:26 PM  
Blogger Lee R said...

Nice to hear your husband enjoys old time radio, I've been a fan since the '70's when I was a teen. Now I do a podcast you might be interested in. I feature a variety of radio shows: Nero Wolfe, Philip Marlowe & other detective shows, Bing Crosby Shows, classic stories from old records, Jean Shepherd radio shows I recorded in the '70's, Hopalong Cassidy shows. Those are all my extras, my main feature is my "Sounds Like Radio" show with me, Your Humble Host.

On Sounds Like Radio I feature a Great Gildersleeve episode each week along with music you just don't hear anymore mainly from the '40's, '50's, & early '60's with some fun talking songs thrown in. Visits from Grandpa (my imitation of Walter Brennan) along with a Grandpa "song" are also included on some episodes. I think you'll find it enjoyable. Hope you and your husband will give it a try, it's all free and it's right here:
https://anchor.fm/your-humble-host

5:32 PM  
Blogger barrylane said...

Sounds nice, Lee. Some other shows to consider: Sam Spade with Howard Duff, The Lone Ranger with Brace Beemer (one of the greatest voices ever), and The Green Hornet, its companion series.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Lee R said...

Ooh, forgot to mention Sam Spade, I've already posted several Sam Spades and more to come. The others you talk of are good too, I used to listen to them all. I'm thinking of having some Shadow episodes too in the future. Even now there are over 100 different shows posted, my Sounds Like Radio shows and my extras all from my "Vast Library of Sound" as I call those specials on the Sounds Like Radio site. I really enjoy the music there too on the regular Sounds Like Radio shows played both before and after a Great Gildersleeve show. I try to have the music go along with the storyline of Gildy. Thanks for your suggestions, always welcome.

By the way, did you happen to catch the latest "Murder She Baked" movie, now going under the title "Hannah Swenson Mysteries" on Hallmark? Allison Sweeney is back, but I don't know why they changed the title of the series, I liked as Murder She Baked. By the way, there are a whole series of books of Murder She Baked too, so more stories they can make movies of.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Lee and Barrylane, thanks for your thoughts on old time radio. There is so much out there I'd love to explore! I've currently got Alan Ladd's BOX 13 bookmarked for listening. My husband listens to lots of Westerns including HOPALONG CASSIDY.

Lee, I recorded the new MURDER, SHE BAKED/HANNAH SWENSEN film but haven't had time to watch it yet. I'm delighted the series returned after a hiatus of a couple three years and hope we might see another one next year.

I'm also hoping for more of the GOURMET DETECTIVE -- Bruce Boxleitner is scheduled to be in Lone Pine and if so I will ask him if there's another one in the works!

Best wishes,
Laura

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older