Saturday, November 27, 2021

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...There was a really interesting announcement of an upcoming Blu-ray release from Kino Lorber this week: TIME OUT OF MIND (1947), starring Phyllis Calvert and Ella Raines, directed by noir great Robert Siodmak. The movie was based on a novel by Rachel Field (ALL THIS, AND HEAVEN TOO). I'm not familiar with the movie at all and am quite intrigued.

...More Blu-ray titles coming from Kino Lorber: WHITE WOMAN (1933) with Carole Lombard, Charles Laughton, and Charles Bickford; THE GREAT MOMENT (1944) with Joel McCrea and Betty Field, written and directed by Preston Sturges; and a pair of Bob Hope films, MONSIEUR BEAUCAIRE (1946) and WHERE THERE'S LIFE (1947). I saw THE GREAT MOMENT at the Vagabond Theatre in Los Angeles as a teen and remember it being rather strange; the topic is the invention of dental anesthesia!

...I've just learned that actress Sharon Gless has written a memoir, APPARENTLY THERE WERE COMPLAINTS. I first recall seeing Gless guesting on TV series such as THE ROCKFORD FILES and BLACK SHEEP SQUADRON; I also recall a TV-movie called HARDHAT AND LEGS (1980) costarring the late Kevin Dobson. In more recent years I enjoyed her as Jeffrey Donovan's mother on BURN NOTICE (2007-2013). I also fondly recall the time I was sitting in the Orlando airport and heard a very distinctive nearby voice talking on the phone while planning a party. I took a quick glance to confirm my suspicion and sure enough, it was Sharon Gless!

...Jessica has a delightful new interview with actor-dancer-singer George Chakiris at her site Comet Over Hollywood.

...Caftan Woman has reviewed TIGHT SPOT (1955), starring Ginger Rogers and Edward G. Robinson. This is a movie I need to see!

...I absolutely loved the first two episodes of Marvel's HAWKEYE series on Disney+. Here's more from The Hollywood Reporter and Variety. Clint Barton (Jeremy Renner), aka Hawkeye, has been one of my favorite Marvel characters since around the time his secret family was introduced in AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON (2015). HAWKEYE finds Clint two years after AVENGERS: ENDGAME (2019), thrilled to be spending time with his family after losing them for five years during the "Blip," but still grieving the loss of his close friend Natasha (Scarlett Johansson), aka the Black Widow. A meeting with a young fellow archer, Kate Bishop (Hailee Steinfeld), during a Christmastime visit to New York City turns his life upside down. The series' tone is perfect, mixing humor, family sitcom, and Christmas cheer.

...More Marvel news: MARVEL'S WANDAVISION: THE ART OF THE SERIES will be published in February. This book is a must-buy for me. WANDAVISION was one of the most impressive TV series I've seen in years, and ranks as top-tier Marvel.

...Just released is the book THE ART OF ENCANTO. I found the movie ENCANTO (2021) very visually appealing when I saw it yesterday and am likely to be purchasing the book.

...Hearty congratulations to my friend Aurora on the 10th anniversary of her blog, Once Upon a Screen -- and grateful thanks for her very nice mention in her anniversary post! For those who haven't yet enjoyed visiting her site, in addition to classic movies Aurora regularly shares lots of wonderful "old-time radio" links featuring favorite film stars.

...CineSavant Glenn Erickson has reviewed the new book by Joseph McBride, BILLY WILDER: DANCING ON THE EDGE, published by Columbia University Press. The review combined with McBride's excellent past work has put the book on my wish list.

...Erickson's latest Blu-ray reviews for Trailers From Hell include the new Warner Archive Blu-ray of PARTY GIRL (1958) and a quartet of wonderful previously hard-to-find noirish films from Kino Lorber.

...James L. Neibaur has reviewed NIGHT HAS A THOUSAND EYES (1948), which was also one of those hard-to-find films I mentioned Erickson reviewing. I also really enjoyed Jim's take on the original HOPALONG CASSIDY (1935) film, which has good insight's into William Boyd's portrayal of Hoppy.

...Jocelyn has reviewed SPLIT SECOND (1953), directed by Dick Powell, at Classic Film Observations & Obsessions. I really enjoyed this film when I saw it a few years ago. Stephen McNally, Jan Sterling, Alexis Smith, and Richard Egan Star.

...The Film Detective will be releasing four restored SHERLOCK HOLMES films next month: THE FATAL HOUR (1931), THE TRIUMPH OF SHERLOCK HOLMES (1935), SILVER BLAZE (1937), and A STUDY IN SCARLET (1933).  The impressive extras include a new documentary, commentary tracks, and the recreation of a radio show.

...Over at Watching Classic Movies, KC reviews Judy Garland and Van Johnson in IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME (1949), now available on Blu-ray from the Warner Archive.  Watch this space for a future review of the movie here as well.

...Notable Passings: Soap star Lisa Brown of AS THE WORLD TURNS and THE GUIDING LIGHT has passed away at the age of 67. Brown played opposite Michael Tylo on THE GUIDING LIGHT; I mentioned Tylo's passing here last month...I belatedly learned of the February 2021 death of Christopher Pennock at the age of 76. His many TV roles included Mitch on GENERAL HOSPITAL in the late '70s. He also appeared on DARK SHADOWS...Musician-Composer Dave Frishberg has died at 88. His compositions included a tune beloved by anyone who watched SCHOOL HOUSE ROCK, "I'm Just a Bill," which was performed by Jack Sheldon. My kids watched a SCHOOL HOUSE ROCK DVD when they were young...Stephen Sondheim has died at 91. I'll always be grateful to him for writing the lyrics for one of my favorite musicals, WEST SIDE STORY.

...For additional recent links of interest to classic film fans, please check out my November 20th roundup.

2 Comments:

Blogger Caftan Woman said...

I already love Arthur Wontner as Sherlock Holmes, how much more will I love him watching a couple of those restored titles?

Thanks for the shout-out and I am sure you will enjoy Tight Spot which, coincidentally is the Noir Alley offering this weekend. Movies are a small universe.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

That Holmes set looks really nice!

You're very welcome, thanks for engaging my interest in seeing TIGHT SPOT, hopefully soon!!

Best wishes,
Laura

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older