Saturday, February 05, 2022

Tonight's Movie: Stage Fright (1950) - A Warner Archive Blu-ray Review

The underrated Alfred Hitchcock film STAGE FRIGHT (1950) has just been released on Blu-ray by the Warner Archive.

The film STAGE FRIGHT tends to cause disparate reactions from reviewers; for instance, Glenn Erickson, whom I admire greatly, doesn't care for it. Others, such as Rick at Classic Film and TV Cafe a decade ago, like it; Rick wrote at the time the film was "methodically moving up my list of favorite Hitchcock films with each viewing."

I first saw the film in 2010 and fall in Rick's camp. I enjoyed it a great deal a dozen years ago, and on this viewing I had such a good time watching it that I found myself considering just how many Hitchcock films I rank ahead of it. There are several, of course, but after reviewing Hitchcock's filmography I can say this movie has edged its way into the bottom end of my Hitchcock Top 10.

That statement itself will doubtless be controversial to some, and I acknowledge there is one Big Issue with the film; it's commonly recognized, but I'm going to avoid discussing it here to avoid spoilers. That "angle" is definitely a bit of a problem in Hitchcock's telling of the story, but for me it's disappeared on repeat viewings. I know it's there and simply accept going into the film that there's not a particularly good explanation.

The rest of the film is pure delight, and I think with the passage of time -- and particularly arriving at an ability to appreciate Marlene Dietrich's unique persona -- I have only come to appreciate it more. This is a movie I would love to see more people enjoy.

Jane Wyman stars as Eve Gill, a student at London's Royal Academy of Dramatic Art. As the film opens, Eve helps her friend Jonathan (Richard Todd) escape from the police.

Jonathan tells Eve he's unjustly suspected of murdering the husband of his lover, famed actress Charlotte Inwood (Dietrich); he claims that Charlotte accidentally killed him and he was merely attempting to help her cover up her involvement. Eve's been carrying a romantic torch for Jonathan and buys his story; she and her father (Alastair Sim) give him a place to stay at her father's coastal retreat while they all figure out what to do next.

Eve sets out to investigate the murder herself, thinking she can learn something to help clear Jonathan, and in so doing she meets a detective (Michael Wilding) who quickly makes her forget about her infatuation with Jonathan.

Soon Eve's father and Jonathan each make their way to London and the case heads toward a climax...

This is such an entertaining movie, with numerous positive attributes. Michael Wilding is my favorite unsung Hitchcock hero, absolutely charming as the man Eve calls "Ordinary" Smith. Smith falls head over heels for Eve, as she does likewise for him; a scene where the pair attempt a discussion while staring at one another in a taxi is marvelously romantic. My only quibble about the film, beyond the previously mentioned issue, is that I would have liked to see more of Michael Wilding!

Sim is hilarious as Eve's accepting father, who doesn't hesitate to come to his daughter's assistance. I love the light and reassuring tone Sim brings to the film. A scene he shares with Joyce Grenfell as a woman running a shooting gallery at a charity fair is laugh out loud funny.

As foreshadowed by a theater curtain rising as the film begins, there's a great deal of "acting" going on in the film, especially when Wyman takes a temporary job as Dietrich's personal maid "Doris." Dietrich's flamboyant character also does her share of acting, including musical performances. I really enjoyed Dietrich and Wyman's scenes, as Dietrich calls "Doris" anything but her name.

Wyman, who doesn't attempt a British accent, does a good job as her character walks a thin line between being a giddy young woman making poor choices versus showing herself to be a fast thinker, including recognizing when she's met a man of real substance who is not simply using her. The actress also pulls off playing a role meant to be considerably younger than her actual age of 32 or so at the time of filming.

The wonderful Patricia Hitchcock (STRANGERS ON A TRAIN) has a small but enjoyable role as one of Eve's fellow students. It's been noted by some that it seems a bit strange her father cast her as a character named "Chubby." Suffice it to say she was not chubby and was a more than capable actress who's a lot of fun as she distracts the detective, who would rather be spending time with Eve.

The cast also includes Sybil Thorndike as Eve's mother, plus Kay Walsh, Miles Malleson, Hector MacGregor, Ballard Berkeley, and Andre Morell.

STAGE FRIGHT was filmed in black and white by Wilkie Cooper. Whitfield Cook's screenplay was based on an adaptation by Alma Reville Hitchcock of a novel by Selwyn Jepson. The running time is 110 minutes.

The Warner Archive Blu-ray is a 4K scan of the original camera negative. It looks and sounds absolutely fantastic.

Blu-ray extras carried over from the original 2004 DVD release are the trailer and a 20-minute featurette, "Hitchcock and Stage Fright."

STAGE FRIGHT is a delightful film deserving of greater recognition, and this is a splendid Blu-ray print. Recommended.

Thanks to the Warner Archive for providing a review copy of this
Blu-ray. Warner Archive Blu-rays may be ordered from the Warner Archive Collection Amazon Store or from any online retailers where Blu-rays are sold.

10 Comments:

Blogger Barry Lane said...

Aside from the unmentionable, we agree, but I will, based on your enthusiasm order the Blu ray.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did! The Blu-ray looks fantastic.

Best wishes,
Laura

6:56 PM  
Blogger Walter S. said...

Laura, good write-up of STAGE FRIGHT(filmed 1949, released 1950). I've always liked this Alfred Hitchcock movie, ever since I first saw it on the WREC Channel 3 Memphis LATE MOVIE in 1971. At that time I had never read anything about the movie, so I enjoyed it for the story, acting, and photography. Even in 1971 I was a Hitchcock, Marlene Dietrich, and Jane Wyman fan, so I enjoyed it. Needless to say, the flashback scene doesn't bother me whatsoever. Also, I think this probably was amusing to Hitchcock.

I think STAGE FRIGHT is well worth viewing.

6:08 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Walter, I'm very glad to know that you're also a fan of STAGE FRIGHT -- going way back! Such a fun movie. I hope that others who haven't seen it will give it a try, and that those who have seen it and weren't sure about it might give it a fresh look.

Best wishes,
Laura

9:12 AM  
Blogger Margot Shelby said...

I admit Stage Fright doesn't rank too high on my favorite Hitchcock list. That has actually less to do with the "unmentionable" (which didn't bother me too much), and more to do with with Todd and Wilding. I'm not really a fan of either actor, though Wilding is very sympathetic here.

Also, Jane Wyman was a very pretty woman and could be very alluring, if given the chance. I really disliked her hairstyle and her wardrobe in this movie. Very dowdy.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Margot! Wyman's hairstyle seems to have been part of a trend which started in the late '40s (I'm thinking of Eleanor Parker in THE VOICE OF THE TURTLE), getting shorter and shorter to what I call "helmet hair" in the '50s. I really don't know what '50s hairstylists were thinking sometimes! (Barbara Stanwyck is the worst example, going from utterly glamorous hair in the mid '40s to a very aging hairstyle in the early '50s.) I agree Wyman's hair isn't great here, yet I didn't find it too terrible either, sort of midrange -- better than her even shorter, more "aging" hair in Sirk films a few years later.

Not liking both lead actors would definitely have an impact as well. It's interesting they were more of a factor for you than the "unmentionable" issue LOL. Thanks very much for sharing your perspective on STAGE FRIGHT!

Best wishes,
Laura

10:08 AM  
Blogger Margot Shelby said...

Yes, Eleanor Parker in The Voice of the Turtle. Parker was one of the most gorgeous Hollywood actresses ever, absolutely breathtaking in Escape from Fort Bravo and The Naked Jungle. I don't think it would be possible to make her look really bad, but the hairstyle in Turtle is very unflattering.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Agreed! Don't know for certain it's true but I read that Parker's hairstyle was meant to emulate the one Margaret Sullavan had in the stage production -- based on photos, Sullavan pulls it off (she often wore her hair that way, even in the '30s) but it's all wrong for Parker.

Best wishes,
Laura

10:29 AM  
Blogger dfordoom said...

I love Marlene Dietrich in this movie. I believe her part in the movie was heavily censored, especially her famous song.

As for the movie, I just can't get past that Big Issue. But I'm not a fan of any of Hitchcock's movies from that era. I love his late 1930s movies and I love the stuff he did from STRANGERS ON A TRAIN onwards but I have major problems with all his 1940s movies.

Hitchcock made some great great movies but alas he made some really bad ones as well.

I think STAGE FRIGHT was one of his experiments. I admire him for being experimental but some of his experiments just don't work for me.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

DforDoom, I love Hitchcock's late '30s movies as well -- but I love his later films also. :)
Thanks for sharing a different perspective.

Best wishes,
Laura

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older