Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Tonight's Movie: I Was a Shoplifter (1950) - A Kino Lorber Blu-ray Review

I WAS A SHOPLIFTER (1950) is a delightfully enjoyable little movie which is part of the Dark Side of Cinema XI collection from Kino Lorber.

I first saw this film in 2017 at the Noir City Film Festival. I saw all 20 films shown at that year's festival and named I WAS A SHOPLIFTER as my favorite.

I WAS A SHOPLIFTER may not be a classic, but it's a highly entertaining 74 minutes with a great Universal Pictures cast, including Scott Brady, Mona Freeman, Andrea King, Tony Curtis, Charles Drake, Rock Hudson, and Peggie Castle. The latter two actors are in small but noticeable roles.

Freeman plays Faye, a wealthy but unhappy girl who lives with her nasty aunt (Nana Bryant). Her emotional woes lead her to the excitement of department store shoplifting; she's caught and in return for not being prosecuted she signs a confession which will result in a stiffer sentence if she ever shoplifts again.

Faye's woes aren't over, as she's blackmailed by a shoplifting ring run by Ina Perdue (King in a deliciously scene-stealing performance).

Jeff Andrews (Brady), a detective with the sheriff's department, has been keeping tabs on Faye and comes to her rescue when Ina's righthand man Pepe (a creepy Curtis) attempts to assault her.

Jeff and Faye fall in love -- with Jeff blithely assuring Faye her attraction toward shoplifting can be easily cured with psychological help. Before they can have a future together, though, there's an exciting chase south of the border to Tijuana and another great chase in a department store -- the use of a package chute in the latter sequence is hilarious.

The movie may not always make sense, especially in the way it minimizes Faye's issues, but every second of it is entertaining.

Brady is a stalwart hero, Freeman is lovely and sympathetic as the troubled heroine, and as mentioned, King seems to be having an absolute blast trading quips with Brady and others. The cast is marvelous top to bottom.

Anyone who enjoys minor crime movies of this nature should give this film a try, as it's fun, plain and simple.

I WAS A SHOPLIFTER was written by Irwin Gielgud based on his own story. It was directed by Charles Lamont and filmed by Irving Glassberg.

Supporting players include Larry Keating, Nestor Paiva, Ann Robinson, Gregg Martell, Robert Gist, Donna Martell, and James Best.

Kino Lorber's Blu-ray print is from a new 2K master; it looks very good and has excellent sound. What a pleasure to have this movie available for home viewing in such a good print!

The lone extras on this disc are three trailers for other films available from Kino Lorber.

The other two films in this set are the previously reviewed A WOMAN'S VENGEANCE (1948) and BEHIND THE HIGH WALL (1956), which will be reviewed at a future date.

Thanks to Kino Lorber for providing a review copy of this Blu-ray collection.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jerry Entract said...

It's somewhat lurid title notwithstanding, this is very much my kind of movie and I can only endorse Laura's own comments. A joy to see films like this getting releases.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Margot Shelby said...

Just watched in on ok.ru. The copy was great.

I liked it too. The only thing I didn't like was actually Mona Freeman. I'm not really a fan of the actress, I find her pretty one-note and bland. Her character here too was just a drip.

However, the rest of the cast makes up for it, especially Andrea King. She and Brady generate a lot of heat and their dialogue sizzles.
All in all, good entertainment.

8:06 PM  
Blogger mel said...

Having just watched SHOPLIFTER, I agree with Margot about Freeman, although I did enjoy her performance in JUMPING JACKS (1952) with Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis.

In my view, Andrea King stole the show.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Jerry, thank you for adding your thoughts on the film! I really love this kind of movie and it's so exciting to see it released on Blu-ray.

Margot and Mel, that's interesting about Freeman. I have a soft spot for her as she was a favorite of my Dad's going back to when he saw MOTHER WORE TIGHTS (1947) when he was young, and later she was Modesty Blaine in a couple episodes of my favorite show, MAVERICK. The ease with which she went back and forth from teenagers to leading ladies kind of amazes me -- the year after I WAS A SHOPLIFTER she played a 15-year-old in DARLING, HOW COULD YOU! (1951). All that said I can understand her not being a fave for some people.

Wasn't Andrea King great? Every time I see her in something I wish she'd had a bigger career. For those who might not have discovered it, there's an official website with beautiful photos.

Thank you all for commenting!

Best wishes,
Laura

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older