Saturday, November 05, 2022

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...Barnes & Noble's annual November half-price Criterion Collection sale is now underway! The sale runs through November 28th.

...Amazon also has some Criterion Collection titles 50% off. I ordered ARSENIC AND OLD LACE (1944) from Amazon yesterday.

...New reviews from CineSavant Glenn Erickson at Trailers From Hell: I, THE JURY (1953), now on 3D Blu-ray from ClassicFlix; THE DIAMOND WIZARD (1954), a 3D Blu-ray from Kino Lorber; and the Powerhouse Indicator Universal Noir #1 Collection.

...Jim Korkis wrote a nice article for MousePlanet on the production of my favorite animated Disney film, SLEEPING BEAUTY (1959).

...I just ordered the new book from the Hyperion Historical Alliance, THE ORIGINS OF WALT DISNEY'S TRUE-LIFE ADVENTURES by Disney historian Didier Ghez. The previous Hyperion book, THE MAKING OF WALT DISNEY'S FUN AND FANCY FREE, was excellent.

...The Peacock streaming service has made a deal with Hallmark to stream Hallmark films. I'm wondering if the end of the Hallmark Movies Now streaming service may be in sight.

...At Jeff Arnold's West there's a review of a Rod Cameron Western I haven't seen, OH! SUSANNA (1951)...and check out Vienna's Classic Hollywood for photos and info on what looks like a fun movie, ANGEL ON THE AMAZON (1948), starring George Brent, Vera Ralston, Constance Bennett, and Brian Aherne.

...I'm excited that Kino Lorber will be releasing Cecil B. DeMille's THE CRUSADES (1935) on Blu-ray in 2023. I found that film, starring Loretta Young and Henry Wilcoxon, extremely memorable when I saw it in 35mm at UCLA over a decade ago.

...Coming from Kino Lorber in January 2023: THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI (1948) with two commentary tracks, including one by the always-interesting Imogen Sara Smith, and the original version of THE ITALIAN JOB (1969) starring Michael Caine.

...Notable Passings: Andrew Prine, a busy working actor in films and television for six decades, has passed on at 86. His movies included CHISUM (1970) with John Wayne and Disney's ONE LITTLE INDIAN (1973) with James Garner...Screenwriter Douglas McGrath has died at 64. McGrath wrote the screenplay for one of my favorite films of the last few decades, EMMA (1996) starring Gwyneth Paltrow.

...For additional recent links of interest to classic film fans, please check out my October 29th roundup.

6 Comments:

Blogger dfordoom said...

I'm quite fond of DeMille's The Crusades although it's a bit disappointing after his masterpieces The Sign of the Cross and Cleopatra.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I loved CLEOPATRA! (THE SIGN OF THE CROSS was "too much" for me in terms of disturbing violence.)

I was able to see all three films referenced on a big screen which was certainly the way to see them for the first time if at all possible. That said, I look forward to revisiting THE CRUSADES on a beautiful Blu-ray at some date in the future.

Best wishes,
Laura

8:33 PM  
Anonymous chris evans said...

Thanks for your superb site. I think I'll always remember Andrew Prine as General Garnett in my favorite Civil War movie 'Gettysburg'. He was excellent in the Pickett's charge sequences along with Richard Jordan and Stephen Lang.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Vienna said...

Many thanks as always for the shout-out to my review.
I’ve never seen I The Jury - I’d be comparing it to Kiss Me Deadly which I love. Maybe I should try it out.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for sharing your appreciation of Andrew Prine, Chris. I haven't yet seen GETTYSBURG.

Vienna, you're very welcome, and I'd be quite interested in what you think of I, THE JURY. KISS ME DEADLY was a rare film of its type which didn't work for me, but I loved I, THE JURY, once I got into its style -- it felt a lot like "The Girl Hunt Ballet" from THE BAND WAGON. :)
It would be interesting to hear whether or not it works for a fan of the more serious KISS ME DEADLY.

Best wishes,
Laura

9:36 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Glen,

I'm catching up on comments after a busy workweek and wanted to be sure to thank you for your thoughts on Andrew Prine as well as the biographical background. I was completely unaware of that sad but interesting crime story.

BANDOLERO is a film I haven't seen yet -- what a remarkable recommendation by Jimmy Stewart! I looked over the cast at IMDb and see some wonderful names. I've added this to my (miles-long!) "watch list." Thank you!

Best wishes,
Laura

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older