Saturday, December 03, 2022

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...I can't spend too much time contemplating this list or it makes me a little nuts, but for anyone who wishes to peruse the new list of 100 Greatest Films from Sight and Sound, here it is. A great many wonderful directors are missing from the list, including names like Lubitsch, Wyler, and Hawks -- I mean, they've dropped RIO BRAVO (1959) from this year's list?! I suspect trying to narrow down any list to the "100 Best" of world cinema is a fool's errand, in any event.

...The President of the Academy announced that 23 categories of the Oscars will be presented live during the Oscar ceremony on March 12, 2023. Eight categories being cut was a move which was widely derided in 2022.

...Glenn Erickson has reviewed the new Warner Archive Blu-ray release of ATTACK OF THE 50 FOOT WOMAN (1958).

...New on December 10th from Old Mill Press: 3D NATIONAL PARKS: LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN THEM BEFORE by David A. Bossert. Disney historian Bossert's many other books include 3D DISNEYLAND: LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN IT BEFORE, which comes with a pair of 3D glasses. I'm ordering the national parks book on based on the quality of his past books, including the Disneyland 3D book.

...Having seen all of the Jon Hall and Maria Montez adventure films in recent months, I was intrigued by the review of DEPUTY MARSHAL (1949) at Jeff Arnold's West, as it stars Hall, Frances Langford, and Dick Foran, plus Russell Hayden and Julie Bishop. Even better was realizing I actually own a copy! It's going into my (mile-high) "watch" stack.

...Karen makes excellent December TCM recommendations at Shadows and Satin.

...Attention Southern Californians: The El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood will be hosting a New Year's Day marathon of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (1991), ALADDIN (1992), THE LION KING (1994), and FROZEN (2013)...On December 26th, the Hollywood Legion Theatre will host a matinee screening of MARY POPPINS (1964).

...A movie poster exhibit is opening this weekend at Cal State Northridge.

...Notable Passings: Singer Louise Tobin, who was Harry James' first wife, has died at the age of 104...Character actor Cliff Emmich has died at 85.

...For additional recent links of interest to classic film fans, please check out my November 26th roundup.

6 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

I wouldn't say that any of the films in the list are not good, but many have not stood the test of time at all, in my opinion. Perhaps the many of the younger critics are trying to impress each other with their choices. Regardless of the reasons, I am not impressed.

12:10 AM  
Blogger mel said...

In the early 1980s, we went to see, and hear, Peanuts Hucko when he was visiting Durban, South Africa.

During an intermission he came to sit and chat with us big band fans, bringing with him his most charming wife, Louise Tobin.

One of those musical moments in my life that I will never forget.

RIP Louise.

12:39 AM  
Blogger Vienna said...

I doubt Sight and Sound would think of polling their readers! As you say, a fool’s errand.

12:55 AM  
Anonymous Barry Lane said...

Why should we or anyone care what these critics say, think or conclude? None have made a film and they are part of a pseudo-intellectual process of self-promotion. Good for them. I did not care in the past, and certainly do not care now. Those of us who like, or love, the movies, are actually in charge.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Thank you for the lovely mention, Laura - I appreciate you. I also appreciate the news about the Academy airing all 23 award categories this year! That was some total BS last year, and I'm glad they're aware of it. Thank you, too, for the link to Glenn's review of the Attack of the 50-Foot Woman. I'm looking forward to reading it, and this reminds me that I bought the poster for this movie more than a year ago, and I think it's time to switch out Singin' in the Rain in favor of this gem!

3:35 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you all so much for your comments! I'm catching up after a heavy workweek. :)

Bill, I agree, many of the films on the Sight and Sound list need to be tested by time. I was discussing with my dad that the real value of a list like this is not necessarily the list itself -- though we might find viewing ideas on such a list -- but the way it prompts us to think about movies ourselves. And of course, circling to Barry's thoughts, in the end it's what we think about films ourselves which matters most.

Mel, what a fabulous story about meeting Louise Tobin! Thank you so much for sharing it.

Karen, you're very welcome, and thank you for all the enjoyable reading at your site and Classic Movie Hub! How fun you have a poster for ATTACK OF THE 50-FOOT WOMAN. I'll be reviewing it here in coming weeks!

Best wishes,
Laura

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older