Saturday, August 26, 2023

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the internet...

...There are some great things coming to the Criterion Channel in September, including "Noir By Gaslight," a series of '70s car films, and "Directed by Allan Dwan," with an intro by Farran Smith Nehme, the "Self-Styled Siren." The Dwan series includes a 63-minute "B" film I've never seen, HIGH TENSION (1936), starring Brian Donlevy and Glenda Farrell. I've seen half of the gothic noir series, which includes favorites like EXPERIMENT PERILOUS (1944) and DRAGONWYCK (1946); I'm looking forward to checking out some new-to-me titles. I highly recommend this very well-curated channel which shows titles going far beyond those available from the Criterion Collection.

...Last month I shared the trailer for RETRIBUTION (2023) starring Liam Neeson. I anticipate going to see it soon, as it sounds like my kind of action movie, solid if a little predictable. Predictability isn't a bad thing for me in a movie like this, which I think of as "action movie comfort food."  (Update: Here's the link for my review!)

...I just learned about THE HILL (2023), a new faith-based film which also sounds like my kind of movie, inasmuch as it stars Dennis Quaid in a baseball film. Here are reviews by Josh M. Shepherd for the Faith and Family Media Blog and Ed Morrissey at Hot Air. I've read Ed for years and he calls it a "feel-good winner." The trailer for THE HILL is here.

...In other "new" production news, I haven't yet tried the new STAR WARS drama AHSOKA (2023) on Disney+, but am encouraged by the Variety review which calls it "a transcendent experience for lifelong fans."

...Last week I mentioned Kino Lorber's upcoming November Blu-ray release of COLUMBO, Seasons 1-7. In a curious development, Kino Lorber announced yesterday that they will no longer be able to include all the commentaries and other extras commissioned for the set. I'm guessing they ran into some sort of legal/rights issues; that said, we'll have to wait for further information to know for sure exactly what has been removed and why.

...DVD Savant Glenn Erickson has reviewed the new ClassicFlix release BLONDE ICE (1948) at Trailers From Hell. It's available on both Blu-ray and DVD. Leslie Brooks stars.

...Over at Out of the Past, Raquel Stecher has reviewed Kino Lorber's impressive new Soundies collection, which she calls "an absolute winner." Look for a review here by me at a future date!

...A few days ago I enjoyed revisiting MISS SLOANE (2016) starring Jessica Chastain and Mark Strong. My opinion was the same as it was on my initial theatrical watch: It's ultimately kind of silly, but it's also highly entertaining.

...There's a new Western TV-movie, THE WARRANT: BREAKER'S LAW (2023) on the way starring Dermot Mulroney and Bruce Boxleitner. It will air in the U.S. on cable's Inspiration Channel this fall.

...Alison Martino has a great photo-filled post on Owl Rexall Drugs at her Vintage Los Angeles blog.

...Speaking of vintage L.A., my copy of HOLLYWOOD SIGNS by Kathy Kikkert has arrived and it's a winner! I love that it can be ordered from Larry Edmunds Bookshop, which is featured in the book.

...Here's a list of "10 Favorite Dramas" from Rachel at Hamlette's Soliloquy. I've seen six of them so far...and I have a NORTH AND SOUTH (2004) DVD in my "watch soon stack" at this very moment! I look forward to it all the more based on her high recommendation.

...A reminder from Toby at 50 Westerns From the 50s about the Critics' Choice multi-film sets. I've bought several and sure wish they'd release more!

...Nancy Luna has a fun photo-filled overview of the history of In-N-Out Burger for Business Insider.

...There are more great Blu-ray releases coming from Australia's Viavision Imprint, including Essential Film Noir: Collection 5 and Tales of Adventure: Collection 2.  I'm especially interested in the latter set which includes rarities such as ANGEL ON THE AMAZON (1948) with George Brent, Vera Hruba Ralston, and Constance Bennett, and FAIR WIND TO JAVA (1953) with Fred MacMurray. Sometimes these Viavision films have later showed up in U.S. Blu-ray releases, which would be amazing if it happened.

...Greenbriar Picture Shows is always worth a look. John's latest post has some very interesting classic movie advertisements.

...Attention Southern Californians: Kimberly Truhler's "Film Noir Style" series concludes on Sunday, September 10th, with a look at the "Post-War Years" and a screening of OUT OF THE PAST (1947).  (Jane Greer is seen here in her initial "good girl" white wardrobe.)  The event will be held at the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica. We had a great time at a previous screening in the series and highly recommend going. The only reason I won't be there is I'll be participating in the MouseAdventure game at Disneyland for the first time in several years.

...Notable Passings: Hersha Parady, who played ill-fated Alice Garvey on TV's LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE, has died at the age of 78...David Jacobs, creator of TV's DALLAS and KNOTS LANDING, has passed on at 84...Soap opera actress Nancy Frangione, whose work included ANOTHER WORLD and ALL MY CHILDREN, has passed away at 70...I recently learned of the March passing of Lisa Montell at 89. She guest starred in a number of TV Westerns including the MAVERICK episode "The Forbidden City" (1961).  She was also in the enjoyable sci-fi film WORLD WITHOUT END (1956) which starred Rod Taylor.

...For additional recent links of interest to classic film fans, please check out my August 19th roundup.

4 Comments:

Blogger Hamlette (Rachel) said...

Thanks for the shout-out to my top ten list! I look forward to your review of North and South :-)

2:02 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

My pleasure, Rachel, and thank you for some viewing inspiration!

Best wishes,
Laura

12:23 PM  
Blogger john k said...

An amazing line up from Imprint-also included is the ultra rare thriller THE MAN IN HALF MOON STREET with Nils Asther and tragic Helen Walker.
FAIR WIND TO JAVA is a 4K restoration from the original 3 strip Trucolor neg and it should look sensational. I'm also very excited about the Republic B Movie DAUGHTER OF THE JUNGLE.FAIR WIND TO JAVA features one of Vera Ralston's best roles. All in all Imprint's November slate is a gold mine for B Movie lovers and Republic fans.

4:50 AM  
Blogger J Hall said...

HIGH TENSION is a lot of fun with Brian Donlevy in full "Cagney" mode.

I purchased ANGEL ON THE AMAZON and FAIR WIND TO JAVA from Amazon Prime. Both are unique Republic films. ANGEL is one odd film ... part jungle adventure, part supernatural and a ending that is most unusual. Vera Ralston is quite good here and in 1948's I, JANE DOE. The great Constance Bennett steals the film and I wish she had more to do.

JAVA is an all-time favorite of mine. I recall seeing it as the second feature at a drive-in theatre with my parents. It still held up for me maybe because of my fond memories of the big volcano climax and that green face-fitting mask Robert Douglas wears. Fred MacMurray and Vera Ralston star along with John Russell, Victor McLaglen & Paul Fix.

Finally, DAUGHTER OF THE JUNGLE uses a lot of stock footage from Republic's 1941 JUNGLE GIRL with Lois Hall and James Cardwell dressed to match scenes featuring Frances Gifford and Tom Neal.

4:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older