Thursday, August 01, 2024

TCM in August: Summer Under the Stars Highlights

It's time for the annual August Summer Under the Stars festival on Turner Classic Movies!

For a quick overview of this month's 31 stars, please visit the list in my June preview post.  For the films themselves, TCM has a printable schedule available.

As always, TCM's regular franchises go on "summer vacation" in August, including Noir Alley and Silent Sunday Nights. The normal schedule will resume in September.

Below are just a few of this month's highlights. Please click on any hyperlinked title to read a complete review.

...I'm later than usual getting this posted due to a heavy workweek, but I'm not too late to note a couple very entertaining William Powell movies airing overnight! THE EX-MRS. BRADFORD (1936), costarring Jean Arthur, and JEWEL ROBBERY (1932), costarring Kay Francis, are part of the first Summer Under the Stars Day, which started on August 1st and carries over into the 2nd. Set those DVRs!

...August 2nd is Ida Lupino Day! There are many good films being shown, and I've recommended several in the past. For this day I'm particularly recommending THE MAN I LOVE (1947), which I just revisited for the first time in years and absolutely loved. Hopefully TCM will be showing the restored print with Ida singing "Bill."

...Another all-time favorite, John Wayne, will be celebrated on August 3rd. The day's movies range from Wayne's early B Westerns through a WWII film, classic Ford Westerns, and more. The evening features an interesting lineup including my two favOrite non-Ford, non-Hawks Wayne Westerns, ANGEL AND THE BADMAN (1947) and TALL IN THE SADDLE (1944).

...Gordon MacRae is one of the stars being featured for the first time. Primetime will have a double bill of his two big Rodgers & Hammerstein musicals, OKLAHOMA! (2955) and CAROUSEL (1956). Neither are shown frequently on TCM so be sure to catch them on August 5th.

...Jean Harlow is celebrated on August 6th. There are a number of great pre-Codes, including one of my favorites, HOLD YOUR MAN (1933) with Clark Gable. Seeing it at UCLA over a dozen years ago is a treasured memory.

...Eleanor Powell has her first-ever Summer Under the Stars Day on August 8th. All her musicals are worth seeing, including LADY BE GOOD (1941).

...August 11th is Cary Grant Day! I've seen all but the very last movie on his schedule, and they're all worth seeing. This month I'll particularly recommend TOPPER (1937) which might have been the first Cary Grant film I ever saw.

...Anita Page is another actress being celebrated for the very first time during this year's Summer Under the Stars festival. Her special day is August 12th. I've seen several of her films and especially enjoyed OUR MODERN MAIDENS (1929).

...Anne Bancroft's day on August 14th includes an Audie Murphy film I've not yet seen, WALK THE PROUD LAND (1956). I don't think I've seen a bad Murphy Western yet, so I'm assuming it's worth seeing!

...Joseph Cotten is celebrated on August 15th. Among the films shown are favorites PORTRAIT OF JENNIE (1948) and SHADOW OF A DOUBT (1943). Very different movies and characters, and both very worthwhile.

...August 16th is Jane Russell Day. I especially enjoy THE LAS VEGAS STORY (1952) with Victor Mature and Vincent Price. It's just a fun film!

...I'm truly delighted that one of my favorite actresses, Jeanne Crain, will be honored on August 20th. I've seen most of the movies shown and am especially thrilled that all-time favorite MARGIE (1946) will be shown in prime time. Robert Osborne loved it so much that he showed it on TCM on Christmas Eve in 2011.

...It's hard to believe this is Grace Kelly's first time being honored during Summer Under the Stars. There's a great lineup of her films on August 24th, including everybody's favorite, REAR WINDOW (1954).

...There's a wonderfully diverse list of films being shown on August 25th, which is Fred MacMurray Day. Among the films is SWING HIGH, SWING LOW (1937) with Carole Lombard. I'll be interested to see what the print is like; I saw a great one at UCLA a dozen years ago but it's usually shown on TV looking kind of rough. Regardless, I'm really glad it's being shown.

...Donna Reed is on the schedule for August 26th! I recommend trying out the unusual, little-known Western GENTLE ANNIE (1944) with James Craig and Marjorie Main. It's very good.

...I'm a big Ginger Rogers fan so I'm delighted to see her films being shown on August 30th. I've seen all but one of the films being shown. I'll recommend SHALL WE DANCE (1937), one of her relatively lesser-known films with Fred Astaire which I revisited for the first time in years a couple years ago.

There are many, many more terrific films on this month's schedule! I highly recommend taking the time to explore the schedule in detail, and whenever possible take a "deep dive" on an actor's filmography. This month is a wonderful opportunity for both longtime movie fans and those newer to classic films.

For more on TCM in August 2024, please check out my Quick Preview of TCM in August and TCM's Summer Under the Stars schedule.

4 Comments:

Blogger CLM said...

Grace Kelly Day sounds fun! I saw Dial M for Murder in a college dining hall with her nephew and niece who had never seen it. Everyone in the room was riveted. I would have met her at his wedding but it was scheduled for the week after she died. Of course, they postponed it and the rescheduled wedding was more subdued and the Grimaldis were still in mourning and did not come.

4:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really looking forward to Gordon Macrae day on Monday (will only be able to watch The Desert Song, 3 Sailors And A Girl, & Oklahoma live, will be watching Look for the Silver Lining, The Daughter Of Rosie O’Grady, Tea For Two, About Face,
& lastly, my two favorite movies: On Moonlight Bay & By The Light Of The Silvery Moon on my DVR over the weekend)

10:05 AM  
Blogger john k said...

I've been catching up with a few James Craig movies from the '40's through the "Digital Underground" films sadly not on DVD. DANGEROUS PARTNERS I enjoyed very much as well as NORTHWEST STAMPEDE with Joan Leslie. I've been trying to track down NORTHWEST RANGERS for ages and I'm delighted to have traced a mint copy. I'm also going to order OMAHA TRAIL a Craig Western that I've never heard of; Dean Jagger is the heavy. I wish Warner Archive still had a DVD imprint so these little known gems could finally see the light of day-the MGM titles at least. I've also become hooked on Warner Bros late 30's 40's crime programmers and Laura, your back pages have been very helpful in tracking down these rare titles. I howled with laughter when you called Dick Purcell "obnoxious" but he has sort of grown on me although I do prefer him as a heavy. My favorite Warner Crime Programmers are BUSSES ROAR HIGHWAY WEST and I WAS FRAMED Julie Bishop is always a plus factor in any movie for me.I was also amazed to see BENGAL TIGER and KING OF THE LUMBERJACKS had the same plot-a love triangle between disabled older man his beautiful young wife and a handsome young man. Both films had an absurd but highly enjoyable cliffhanger climax. disengage your brain and enjoy. Again these films would be ideal for Warner Archive DVD's

3:40 AM  
Blogger john k said...

A nice surprise from Sony Classics they are releasing ONCE TO EVERY WOMAN (1934) next month.This film is essential for Fay Wray fans it's a gripping medical drama and a very welcome release.

6:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older