Monday, July 23, 2007

Netflix Lowers Prices Again

Earlier this month there was a nice discussion here about Netflix.

I just learned that the monthly fee for our rental plan is being reduced from $9.99 to $8.99 a month.

On the one hand, this is good news for our budget, but on the other hand, the radio report I heard said it may indicate Netflix is having trouble with the competition, specifically Blockbuster. Netflix's stock has gone down in value.

Netflix is a quality service I'd like to see survive long term.

3 Comments:

Blogger jau said...

I think it also means they want to encourage people to use the service for just a few movies at a time versus the 3+ movies subscribers. I have a friend who's on the 10-at-a-time, would you believe! (He doesn't have TCM, alas.) I agree that I'd hate to see them go. Blockbuster's selection is dismal by comparison and they edit some movies which is so appalling that I can't go there any more.

7:10 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Happy Housewife said...

I read your post and the next day Netflix's stock and website go down. You're an oracle.:)

H jumped the Netflix ship a few weeks ago because he liked the ability to rent movies from Blockbuster stores without paying any more money. Blockbuster's online selection seems to be more limited, though. For instance, the last time I checked, they didn't offer the '80s-'90s TV series, Avonlea. The kids and I had made it halfway through the series with Netflix and now we are stuck.

4:57 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

We were concerned when the Netflix site was down roughly 24 hours! Wondered if they were down due to changing over to the new prices...but that was a really long time. Fortunately they got our DVD yesterday and sent out the new one. :)

Lack of selection is one of my main issues with Blockbuster...it's nice to get movies in person but our local store doesn't have a great variety that interests me, being focused mainly on newer releases. I hope you can finish the Avonlea series!

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older