Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Somewhere in Time Weekend

At the end of the month the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island is hosting a SOMEWHERE IN TIME weekend.

If you can afford the bill, there are opportunities to meet members of the cast and crew -- no word whether Jane Seymour can leave DANCING WITH THE STARS for the weekend (grin) -- as well as screenings of the film.

If, like most of us, you don't have a spare grand free to go enjoy the weekend, you can just enjoy the website instead. :)

(Many thanks to Mrs. UNG for the link!)

I have fond memories of seeing this movie, which first came out in 1980. Viewed today, the film has added poignance, given the tragedy which would later befall Christopher Reeve. One of Jane Seymour's sons is named after Reeve.

I highly recommend the Collector's Edition DVD, which includes an excellent documentary.

The Official Somewhere in Time website indicates there is a forthcoming Broadway musical version. I somehow doubt, however, that a live version could capture the same magic as the movie filmed on Mackinac Island.

2 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

I just recently viewed that movie again. One of my favorites.

Back in the '70's my mom and I took a tour of Michigan for the Tulip Festival. The tour also included traveling all around Michigan and one of the places we went to was Mackinac Island and we stayed overnight at the Grand Hotel. It was absolutely beautiful!

7:22 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Irene!

I envy your trip! I would love to visit the Grand Hotel one day.

A close friend's son attended Hope College in Holland, Michigan, where they have the Tulip Festival. That's something else I'd like to see!

Holland (the backlot version, at least!) is featured in the film SEVEN SWEETHEARTS, which is airing on TCM today as part of a Marsha Hunt birthday celebration.

Best wishes,
Laura

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older