Friday, March 28, 2008

Coming to TV: Sense and Sensibility (2008)

A new two-part production of SENSE AND SENSIBILITY begins airing Sunday evening on MASTERPIECE. It's the conclusion of this spring's Austen Festival on PBS, and it sounds like it's a winner.

USA Today, in its four-star review, enthuses that the show is "truly a masterpiece."

The L.A. Times says that this new production, with its longer television length, is more complete than the wonderful Emma Thompson version. Sunday night's movie was adapted by Andrew Davies, who also adapted the classic Colin Firth-Jennifer Ehle PRIDE AND PREJUDICE.

The Times raves: "The cast is above reproach...there isn't a missed note among them."

Fans of UPSTAIRS, DOWNSTAIRS will be pleased to hear that Jean Marsh plays Mrs. Ferrars, while HARRY POTTER fans may enjoy knowing that Mark Williams (Mr. Weasley) plays Sir John Middleton. (A trivia note, on their last viewing of the Thompson version of S&S, my younger children counted at least five actors who are also in the POTTER films.)

Sounds like some very enjoyable viewing ahead for Austen fans.

Saturday Update: A few adjectives from the San Francisco Chronicle: "Breathtaking... Davies' script is stunning, magical and, above all, precise... Compelling."

Coming to DVD: SENSE AND SENSIBILITY will be released on DVD on April 8th. Extras include a commentary track. The set also includes MISS AUSTEN REGRETS, which aired on PBS as part of their Austen Festival.

I've got all of the recent Austen films on tape, stacked in my "to be watched" pile! I'm most looking forward to seeing SENSE AND SENSIBILITY.

3 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

I have been enjoying the run of Jane Austin on Masterpiece this season, especially given the dearth of decent programing on network television. The only production I did not enjoy was Mansfield Park. I felt it just wasn't as good nor did I think it was period correct (Fanny's hairstyle just bugged me).

Really happy to hear such good things about this production of Sense and Sensibility. I enjoyed the Emma Thompson version but will like the fact that this has not been shortened. And if the same people who were responsible for Pride and Prejudice are involved - well, it just has to be a winner then :)

7:48 AM  
Blogger Irene said...

Did you watch? What did you think? I think the positive reviews were right on the money. I loved it. Pride and Prejudice, A & E version, will always be my favorite but this one is going to come in a very close second.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'm putting it on tape right now, hope to watch Part One later in the week. My dad said he thought the reviews were accurate too. Looking forward to it!

Best wishes,
Laura

9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older