Tuesday, April 01, 2008

New Movie: The Women (2008)

Last December I wrote about seeing the 1939 classic THE WOMEN for the first time.

I just learned that a remake is going to hit theaters next October 10th. Everyone's sweetheart, Meg Ryan, stars in the lead role as the wronged wife, Mary. Norma Shearer played the part in the original.

Mary's rival, Crystal, is played by Eva Mendes (originally Joan Crawford), while Annette Bening takes on Rosalind Russell's role as Sylvia.

The cast also includes Debra Messing (Phyllis Povah's role), Jada Pinkett Smith (Paulette Goddard's part), and Carrie Fisher (Florence Nash's role). No one seems to be playing Joan Fontaine's character, Peggy, unless it's been renamed.

Candice Bergen, Bette Midler, Cloris Leachman, Debi Mazar and Joanna Gleason are also in the cast. For fans of THE WEST WING, NiCole Robinson (Leo's secretary, Margaret) is also in the film.

I'm quite curious to see whether this cast can pull it off, seven decades after the original.

2 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

I saw this movie after your recommendation and really liked it. It will be interesting to see how an updated 2008 version will play.

Wow ... what a cast this new version is going to have.

11:04 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

I love "The Women" and I knew they had been talking about a remake for years, but never realized they actually made one.

I'll watch it, because I can't stand not to, but I'm afraid! Very afraid!

Don't care for Meg Ryan, much either. But everyone else sounds intersting. I thought Julia Roberts was going to do this one??

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older