Monday, November 17, 2008

The Return of the Greatest American Hero?

Stephen J. Cannell's THE GREATEST AMERICAN HERO is a series I recall fondly from its run from 1981-83.

The show had a good sense of humor, a nice cast -- I especially loved Robert Culp as the long-suffering FBI agent -- and it didn't hurt that it also featured one of the all-time great TV theme songs, Mike Post's "Believe It or Not."

My kids have watched the entire series on DVD and liked it too. One of my daughters was quite excited when the "Hero" himself, William Katt, turned up recently on HEROES -- nice touch there -- but sadly he was killed off immediately!

(For movie trivia fans: Katt is the son of Bill Williams and Barbara Hale; he appeared with his mother in the series of PERRY MASON movies in the '80s, where he played Paul Drake Jr. In the early '70s I saw him singing "Sixteen Going on Seventeen" when he played Rolf in a Los Angeles Civic Light Opera production of THE SOUND OF MUSIC, starring Sally Ann Howes.)

Now comes word that the GREATEST AMERICAN HERO series is being revived in two different formats. Star William Katt has launched a comic book line continuing Ralph's adventures, and creator Stephen J. Cannell says there will be a feature film based on the series:

"We have a script. We have a director. I'm in the middle of making the deal now for distribution. We have a bite now. It will happen. It's a PG movie, not a PG-13. We want to have all kids be able to go see it. I want all the 7-year-olds to be able to go and their parents will remember the show and want to share it with them. It needs to be funny but with one foot on the ground in reality."

Cannell promises the original cast members will make appearances in the film and that we'll also hear the familiar theme song.

This all sounds like a lot of fun to me. We'll be there!

7 Comments:

Blogger Missy said...

One of the guys in my church youth group looked a bit like William Katt. The younger kids in the church would point at him and giggle about it. Occasionally he would take them for piggy-back rides...they loved it. It was cute.

Missy http://missyisms.typepad.com

2:58 PM  
Blogger J.C. Loophole said...

One of my all time favorite series from the 1980s. Television back then was entertaining and fun. Not so much dark and angst like today.

10:07 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

J.C., I have a book about "The Second Golden Age of Television," all about '80s TV. The book mainly focuses on more serious shows, but does spend time on NORTHERN EXPOSURE and MOONLIGHTING. That was also the decade of REMINGTON STEELE and a lot of other fun programs, as well as the Golden Age of the Miniseries. I think the book title is right on. :)

Fun HERO-related memory, Missy! (My one complaint about the show was sometimes I wished Ralph would do something with his hair, LOL. I'm not big on the wet mop look.)

I suspect there are a whole lot of people out there who would welcome a well-made HERO movie they could share with their kids.

Best wishes,
Laura

10:37 PM  
Blogger MsBoku said...

William Katt has
let out a comic book, with Chris Folino, called Sparks.
Next year Mythology Wars (Another Katt comic)will be out. And the Big news, William Katt
is releasing the Greatest American Hero comic book in November! Followed by a web series of shorts with the original voices of William Katt, Connie Selleca and Robert Culp!
Here is the link to Catastrophic comics (William's comic book company.
Tell them Marci Sent you.
http://catastrophiccomics.com/

He is going to conventions and comic book stores for signings so, keep your eyes peeled.
And if you want to talk about the Greatest American Hero go here.
http://www.tgah.proboards43.com/
We're a great bunch and the bd has been very active for about 3 yrs.
Yup! We chat GAH and keep up on where the gang will be!
www.youtube.com/msboku
william Katt sings too...

9:19 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for all the info!

Best wishes,
Laura

9:36 AM  
Blogger Missy said...

Laura, I agree about the hair. The boy from my church had blond, wavy hair, but not that wet curl look. Their faces were similar also. I have to admit, I never actually watched the show, but I remember it and the song.

Missy http://missyisms.typepad.com

11:28 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Talk about a time machine. I vaguely remember watching that show on Tv. I must have been around 6!

2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older