Thursday, February 05, 2009

Disneyland's Renovated Small World Opens Friday

Disneyland's remodeled It's a Small World attraction officially opens Friday, after a controversial "rehab" which lasted the better part of the year.

The controversy has centered on 29 of the ride's dolls being costumed as Disney characters. Each Disney character will appear in the appropriate country; for instance, Mulan in China, Cinderella in France, and Alice in Wonderland in England.

The ride, featuring dolls designed by Mary Blair, debuted at the 1964 New York World's Fair and then opened at Disneyland in 1966.

Annual Pass holders are able to try out the ride today, ahead of the official opening. Unfortunately we won't be able to make it today, but we hope to ride on it in the near future.

A press release and official mini-video can be seen here. An AP video report is here.

1 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

As you can probably guess there is quite the discussion going on about this over on MiceChat today. I am reserving complete judgment until I see it myself, but from the video and photos I've seen I don't think it's so bad. I feel most of the dolls fit in very nicely. I do think there was thoughts of marketing going into this change too, though.

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older