Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Coming This Summer: Julie and Julia (2009)

August 7, 2009, is the release date for what I hope will be an excellent movie: JULIE AND JULIA, starring Meryl Streep and Amy Adams.

Streep plays Julia Child, with Adams playing blogger Julie Powell.

The film is a mixture of Child's memoir MY LIFE IN FRANCE -- a really wonderful book -- and Powell's JULIE AND JULIA. Powell blogged her experiences cooking her way through Child's MASTERING THE ART OF FRENCH COOKING in a year's time and then turned the experience into a book.

Stanley Tucci plays Julia Child's husband, Paul. Nora Ephron (SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE, YOU'VE GOT MAIL) writes and directs.

USA Today has a photo gallery.

Previously: Meryl Streep to Play Julia Child; Julia Child's Autobiography Reviewed; The NYT Reviews Julia Child's Memoir.

3 Comments:

Blogger Terri said...

I have been meaning to read this book! I have to do that before I see the movie.

3:22 AM  
Blogger NoirGirl said...

My mom read Julia's Life in France book and loved it. There's lots of great information in it and not just about cooking. I'm having a hard time visualizing Meryl Streep as Julia Child. She doesn't seem the Julia type at all! But, maybe I should just wait until the film comes out...

Btw - Noir Girl has splashed you...

6:08 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Happy reading, Terri!

Casey, I'm glad your mom loved Julia Child's book too. I think the book would be an excellent read for many people who aren't even interested in cooking...she was such an amazing role model in terms of setting out to learn how to do something new (cooking, not to mention living in France!) and perseverance (the years of work to publish MASTERING THE ART OF FRENCH COOKING). A very interesting woman.

Thanks for the tip about your blog, I'll head on over to check it out! :)

Best wishes,
Laura

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older