Thursday, May 28, 2009

Studying Abroad: What Happened to Personal Responsibility?

USA Today ran an article today bemoaning the fact that there is no federal oversight of study abroad programs, and that there is no national agency charged with keeping records of study abroad statistics.

Additionally, some families have been campaigning for a "federal standard of liability" which could be used to sue colleges which allegedly do not run study abroad programs with proper oversight.

Honestly, the desire of some for the federal government to oversee every aspect of our lives is mind-boggling. Not to mention that the threat of litigation makes anything less available and more expensive.

As the parent of a student who just returned from a semester abroad, I have to ask: Whatever happened to personal responsibility? Perhaps studying abroad in places such as Ghana, Jamaica, and Tanzania isn't a wise idea?

And perhaps a 16-year-old high schooler with Type 1 diabetes should have waited to study or travel abroad when he was older and better able to advocate for his medical needs?

Studying abroad, like life, is never risk free. But instead of expecting the government to step in to monitor programs and make lawsuits easier to file, parents and students can research programs and countries, weigh the relative risks, and then take responsibility for making the best choices possible.

5 Comments:

Blogger Barb the Evil Genius said...

Some people honestly don't want responsibility for anything. It's too bad they have to take us along on the road to fewer freedoms and higher taxes.

12:30 PM  
Blogger jau said...

Well said. Scary to be out there without protections all over the place, but that's part of the point of life, right? Remind me to tell you about my trip to the U.K. without any reservations and without telling people where I was. The night in Penzance, particularly... Fantastic, in the end, though - and that's part of the point!
Best-
Anne

8:17 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

"Remind me to tell you about my trip to the U.K. without any reservations and without telling people where I was. The night in Penzance, particularly... Fantastic, in the end, though - and that's part of the point!"

Would love to hear about it! :)

Alas, it seems that there are those who wish all of us to be "nannied" for our entire lives...with, as Barb says, a corresponding loss in freedom.

Best wishes,
Laura

8:21 AM  
Blogger jau said...

Maybe I'll take advantage of this to write a post about it. It was very interesting - fun and scary and ultimately rewarding beyond any ability to have predicted it.

BTW, my children are going to L.A. and Disneyland at the end of June/beginning of July. Any must-not-miss suggestions and/or tricks of a neighbor suggestion??!! (You can write me at my gmail address if you prefer.)

Best-
Anne

9:34 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'd love to see a post on that, Anne! I'm sure my daughter would, too. :) (I sent her the link for your crossword puzzle post...she and her USC roommate like to do them together.)

How exciting about your kids making the trip out here! Could you send me your gmail address? I'm having trouble locating it. Thanks!

Best wishes,
Laura

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older