Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Criterion DVDs on Sale

DVD collectors will want to check out the Criterion sale currently taking place at Barnes & Noble.

All Criterion DVDs are 50% off. The sale is both online and in "bricks and mortar" stores.

There are some amazing deals. For instance, the new release NIGHT TRAIN TO MUNICH (1940), currently selling for $22.46 at Deep Discount and $26.49 at Amazon, is just $14.99 plus tax.

The recent release of STAGECOACH (1939) is currently $31.99 at Amazon and $32.60 at Deep Discount. It's $19.99 in the Barnes & Noble sale.

I'm rather glad now that I was saving for my vacation last month and had to put off buying NIGHT TRAIN TO MUNICH!

I hadn't ordered anything from Barnes & Noble online recently and just learned that B&N no longer offers its membership discounts online; instead members receive "free express shipping" online. (A poor tradeoff, if you ask me, given that it's easy to get free shipping there with a minimum purchase anyway.) However, I confirmed with a store employee that the discount is good for use shopping the sale at one of their stores. The 10% savings basically offsets the sales tax these days here in California...

Happy shopping!

7 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

Laura, thank you!!! This is an amazing sale! Will pass this one to everyone in my Ophuls class tonight.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Glad to help! I just got back from picking up NIGHT TRAIN TO MUNICH for $13.50 + tax, and STAGECOACH for $18 + tax. Can't beat that!!

Looking forward to your next Ophuls post, I enjoyed your comments on LETTER FROM AN UNKNOWN WOMAN.

Best wishes,
Laura

3:32 PM  
Blogger Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

I saw this over at Tom's last night--though he did give you all the credit for the heads-up.

I'm going to have to get Night Train to Munich--but I'd also like to score a copy of Make Way for Tomorrow, which is being offered at the same discount.

Thanks again for passing this along!

6:35 AM  
Blogger Tom said...

yeah, some of my readers wrote in to express that they still felt the prices were a bit too high. But I still think 19.99 beats 39.99 - I almost bought "Madame de" for that price in Border's the other day, and recently picked up "49th Parallel" for that full price.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Glad to help, Ivan! :)

Hi Tom! As you are aware from your recent purchase, Criterion prices are always high to start with, which is why the sale is notable... I've bought a couple Criterion releases on sale at Amazon in the past; I got I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING! for somewhere in the neighborhood of $15, similar to the sale pricing for NIGHT TRAIN TO MUNICH. I would be surprised (but pleased) if a future sale took Criterion DVDs any lower than the current $15-20 sale prices.

Best wishes,
Laura

9:01 AM  
Blogger Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

Rah-ha-ha-ha-ha!!! I went with my Mom on a grocery run this morning and made certain to stop by our B&N...where a copy of Munich now rests in my fat little hands.

Munich and the Encore Westerns channel. Life couldn't possibly better be.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Congratulations, Ivan! I'm sure looking forward to seeing NIGHT TRAIN for the first time soon, in a beautiful print.

I just saw your post about Encore Westerns...what great news! I am really enjoying that channel...along with MAVERICK and THE VIRGINIAN, I keep finding interesting Westerns I've never heard of, even one with Randolph Scott and James Garner (SHOOT-OUT AT MEDICINE BEND). If they would just stop showing pan & scans it'd be perfect...

Best wishes,
Laura

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older