Sunday, February 06, 2011

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the Internet...

...This week Mark introduced his Top 10 of the 100 Greatest Noir Posters at Where Danger Lives. My favorites are GUILTY BYSTANDER (have to see that one!), THIS GUN FOR HIRE, and GILDA. I think I'd have to vote for THIS GUN FOR HIRE (#5 on Mark's list) or GILDA (#4) as my favorite. This has been a great series with a lot of interesting insight about effective poster art.

...Turner Classic Movies has announced the titles for its Saturday evening ESSENTIALS series, which resumes March 5th. The movies to be shown this year include LOVE ME TONIGHT (1932), which has a great Rodgers and Hart score, a witty script (Myrna Loy is a riot), and a remarkable opening sequence; Joan Crawford and Ann Blyth in MILDRED PIERCE (1945); Best Picture AN AMERICAN IN PARIS (1951); the comedy BALL OF FIRE (1941); STAGE DOOR (1937), with a fabulous cast headed by Ginger Rogers and Katharine Hepburn; Val Lewton's CAT PEOPLE (1942); the classic film noir OUT OF THE PAST (1947); and a Christmas Eve showing of MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET (1947).

...Kevin's Movie Corner gives a thumbs up to Claudette Colbert, Melvyn Douglas, and Robert Young in I MET HIM IN PARIS (1937). My November 2009 review is here.

...Julia Roberts is said to be in talks to play the Evil Queen in a new filming of SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS. Seems like there are two or three different versions currently in pre-production!

...I was interested to read that Douglas Fairbanks Jr.'s grandson Dominick Fairbanks is developing a new big-screen production of IVANHOE.

...Progress and cooking discussed in the Atlantic, via Instapundit.

...NCIS, which had its biggest-ever audience last week, was just renewed for Season 9. I'm not sure I remember another series which continued to grow at such a rate so far into its run; it didn't become TV's No. 1 show until Season 7. The show had nearly 23 million viewers last week.

...Excellent analysis: Wilfred McClay on "How to Understand Rush Limbaugh" for Commentary Magazine.

...Things aren't looking good for Borders. I used to prefer the closest Borders to B&N...then I started noticing the bookshelves emptying out and CDs not being stocked, and I stopped going.

...Lots of interesting classic film DVD reviews can be found at Leonard Maltin's Movie Crazy, Barrie Maxwell's Classic Coming Attractions, and DVD Savant. Films reviewed at these sites include the new VCI release of THE PROWLER (1951) and the Colbert-MacMurray Romantic Comedy Collection.

...Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies?!

...In the future the "window" may lengthen between Warner DVD release dates and their availability on Netflix.

...Garbo Laughs will be advising readers of titles Netflix adds to its "Watch Instantly" service each month. Sounds wonderful!

...Priscilla Lane's last movie, which I've never seen, just came out via Warner Archive: BODYGUARD (1948). It also stars Lawrence Tierney. I'll be looking to pick this one up in 2011, as I close in on seeing all of the lovely Priscilla's 22 films.

...I'd never heard of Foodily until I read about it in the Los Angeles Times. I'll be checking it out further.

...The State of the Art House in Los Angeles, by Karina Longworth of L.A. Weekly.

...Here's some Joel McCrea DVD news from 50 Westerns of the 50s.

...Lou Lumenick reviews Ronald Reagan movies available on DVD.

...Thanks to my correspondent Jill for passing on David Kern's essay "Learning to Speak the Language of Cinema." Kern edits the magazine for nearby Biola University and reviews movies for Christianity Today. (Correction: My sincere thanks to Andrew Kern for pointing out that the linked article, though posted by David Kern, was written by Brett McCracken. Somehow I picked up on the wrong name off the page, though Mr. McCracken's name is also clearly stated in his bio at the end of the essay.)

Have a great week!

5 Comments:

Blogger monty said...

So much wonderful news Laura. Thanks for the awesome post.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

You're very welcome, Monty, glad to know you enjoyed it!

Best wishes,
Laura

7:58 PM  
Blogger David Kern said...

Laura,

Thanks so much for linking to our article on the language of cinema. I feel bound to make a correction on a rather important fact, which is that, while David is quite good at movie reviews, the one posted was written by Brent McCracken and that the references to other publications are his too.

Even so, thanks again for the link. Your page is fascinating.

10:06 PM  
Blogger David Kern said...

I should now add that the previous post was written not by David but by Andrew Kern and I did not intend to make David sound a little overly self-impressed. Apparently, I'm posting under his name somehow, but being the old man I'm not sure how to fix it.

10:08 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Andrew,

Thanks so much for that correction, I will update my post. Somehow I misinterpreted the "posted by" line as being the author, not noticing the byline underneath! So your comments are very much appreciated.

Hope you will visit again!

Best wishes,
Laura

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older