Sunday, July 17, 2011

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the Internet...the Carmageddon Weekend edition!

...Coming to Criterion DVD October 12: THE FOUR FEATHERS (1939). I haven't seen this one yet but relatives who have watched it loved it. Sounds like one to watch for!

...Here's Posters 21-30 in the Greatest Classic Sci-Fi Poster Countdown at Where Danger Lives.

...At 50 Westerns From the 50s Toby has a nifty photo of the Parry Lodge in Kanab, Utah, where many actors stayed while filming Westerns in the area.

...Kelli O'Hara of the SOUTH PACIFIC Broadway cast recently released an album of standards, ALWAYS.

...Tales of the Easily Distracted recently featured throughts by Dorian and Vinnie on James Garner's MARLOWE (1969) and SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF! (1968). The latter is a big favorite in our house. And thanks to Dorian for Tweeting me a link to James Garner's WHAT'S MY LINE? appearance.

...John Greco reviews Anthony Mann's THE TALL TARGET (1951) at Twenty Four Frames. I really liked this one, which stars Dick Powell as a detective trying to prevent President-Elect Lincoln's assassination in 1861. It's a great "train" movie for those who love films set on and around trains.

...I just came across this cookbook released last fall, which makes me hungry just looking at the cover: SOUTHERN PLATE by Christy Jordan.

...Chocolate cake in a cup? If I had to assemble all those ingredients in the first place, I think I'd rather just bake a cake...

...Thanks to KC of Classic Movies for making me aware of Pub-D-Hub. I found it in the Roku Channel Store and added it to my Roku channels this weekend, although I haven't had time to explore it yet. Sounds like fun.

...Jim Lane's Cinedrome has an excellent piece on the recent Debbie Reynolds costume auction and The Museum That Never Was.

...I really enjoyed Tom's review of Deanna Durbin in THE AMAZING MRS. HOLLIDAY (1943) at The Amazing Deanna Durbin. And my thanks to Tom for linking to my 2008 post. There's even more on this film at Java's Journey.

...Moira has a very nice post on Carleton Carpenter and his 1952 films SKY FULL OF MOON and FEARLESS FAGAN at Skeins of Thought.

...Mike Clark of Home Media Magazine recently reviewed the remastered Warner Archive release of TORTILLA FLAT (1942), starring Spencer Tracy, John Garfield, and Hedy Lamarr.

...I'd love to see the Pre-Code Festival Leonard Maltin describes, which started in New York this weekend. There are some fabulous titles playing, including triple bills of hour-long films. However, there's a series coming to UCLA next month called "Harlow Before the Code" which sounds great. I plan to post more information on it at a future date.

...Happy 56th Birthday to Disneyland today!

Have a great week!

5 Comments:

Blogger Audrey said...

I love watching "What's My Line?"! That episode with Garner is great. He just seems like such a genuinely nice guy.

7:43 AM  
Blogger panavia999 said...

The Four Feathers is in TCM July 21 at 11:00 AM. :-)

7:21 PM  
Blogger KC said...

I hope you enjoy Pub-d-Hub. I decided to pay the whopping $2 for the gold version and so now I've got access to tons of content. Too exciting!

8:39 PM  
Blogger mel said...

Support Your Local Sheriff is probably my favorite James Garner movie, but I'm not familiar with Marlowe. I'll have to seek a copy out; many thanks, Laura, for drawing my attention to it.

9:22 PM  
Blogger DorianTB said...

Laura, a zillion thanks to you from Vinnie and me here at Team Bartilucci H.Q.! We really appreciated your nice plug for our recent James Garner double-feature over at Tales of the Easily Distracted! And while I've got your attention, count me in as a fan of fellow blogger John Greco and his superb blog post about Anthony Mann's THE TALL TARGET! It'll be on TCM again on Saturday morning; those who haven't seen it should either get up early or set their DVRs! :-)

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older