Saturday, August 13, 2011

Around the Blogosphere This Week

Miscellaneous bits of news and fun stuff from around the Internet...

...Alfred Hitchcock was born in England 112 years ago today. Here's a fun remembrance from Veronica Cartwright, who played Rod Taylor's little sister in THE BIRDS (1963). (Via KC at Classic Movies.)

...Hmmm...Is Disney Going to Withhold Newer Titles From Netflix?

...THE KING'S SPEECH (2010) may become a stage play.

...Congratulations to Glenn Reynolds on a decade of blogging at Instapundit. Check out the link for Glenn's video report on the evolution of blogging over the last ten years.

...Back in 2008 I posted about a rock slide at Yosemite which threatened to permanently close many of the cabins at Camp Curry. It looks as though that concern will become a reality, as Yosemite is now proposing to completely remove more than 70 cabins. Unfortunately one of the problems with Yosemite is the park keeps removing lodging. It's part of a plan to keep Yosemite pristine, yet it's at the expense of people actually enjoying one of our great national parks. Park management also has other issues which prevent a stay in Yosemite from being the best experience it can be.

...The Self-Styled Siren has written an intesting analysis of Joan Crawford in HARRIET CRAIG (1950).

...Dave Kehr recently published a good article on Robert Ryan in The New York Times.

...Elinor Klivans is one of my favorite baking authors, especially BIG FAT COOKIES and THE ESSENTIAL CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKBOOK. Her newest book, due out in early September, is DONUTS. I've never made a donut, but I suspect Klivans will inspire me to give it a try.

...Cliff pays tribute to James Stewart's THE STRATTON STORY (1949) at Immortal Ephemera.

...Earlier this summer Trouble in Paradise posted some nice pics of Kay Francis and George Brent in STRANDED (1932), which I reviewed in 2008.

...Here's a long but interesting article about many people lacking basic classic film literacy, despite movies being more accessible than ever. (Via Warner Archive on Twitter.)

...Mercurie will be hosting a Margaret Lockwood Blogathon at A Shroud of Thoughts on September 15th, which would have been Lockwood's 95th birthday.

...DVD Savant, aka Glenn Erickson, reviews Carole Lombard and Anne Shirley in the drama VIGIL IN THE NIGHT (1940), available from the Warner Archive, and THE ATOMIC CITY (1952), a Gene Barry film due out on DVD soon from Olive Films.

...The New York Times recently wrote about independent video stores trying to stay in business.

...Dear Old Hollywood has a great photo tour of the Little Bohemia Lodge in Wisconsin, site of a shootout between the FBI and John Dillinger.

...Dave Kehr and Mike Clark review recent Warner Archive crime film releases, including William Lundigan in FOLLOW ME QUIETLY (1949).

...Mike Clark also recently reviewed Warner Archive's remastered ATHENA (1954), starring Debbie Reynolds and Jane Powell. I picked this up in a sale this summer and look forward to seeing it for the first time in many years.

...Notable Passing: actor Francesco Quinn, the son of Anthony Quinn, passed away suddenly a few days ago, at the age of 48. Quinn's credits included PLATOON (1986) and the soap opera THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS.

...Finally, a very big thank you to Jim Lane's Cinedrome for awarding this blog the Liebster Award. I appreciate Jim's kind words immensely. Knowing my work is appreciated means a great deal. As KC said recently at Classic Movies, I feel that it would be too difficult to choose just five blogs to pass the award on to...there are so many marvelous classic film blogs which I enjoy visiting on a daily or weekly basis. I hope readers will enjoy visiting the blogs highlighted in my blogroll as well as in my weekly "Around the Blogosphere" roundup!

Have a great weekend!

5 Comments:

Blogger Cliff Aliperti said...

Laura, wonderful round-up as usual, there's so much good stuff going out daily for classic film fans to eat up!

Thanks so much for including my Stratton Story article amongst the bunch, I'm flattered as always.

Loved that Sight on Sound article, The Gray Ones Fade to Black, thanks for posting it, I must have missed when WAC tweeted.

12:28 AM  
Blogger JH said...

Hi Laura!
I wasn't sure if you've mentioned this yet, but you can check-out "Dan-in-the-Midwest's" daily dispatches from Noir City Chicago 3 over at:

http://noirishcity.blogspot.com/

I believe you posted this schedule and venue before:

http://www.musicboxtheatre.com/collections/noir-city-chicago-3

Even though I've seen may these films, there's no better way to revisit them than by watching some beautiful new prints in the company of other noir enthusiasts. Any I'm happy to add my small support to the Film Noir Foundation and the Music Box for continuing to make this event happen. Unfortunately I won't be getting much else accomplished this week! haha

7:01 AM  
Blogger DKoren said...

Mmm! Homemade donuts! My family used to make those all the time. They were fabulous and really easy to make (just time consuming). Different, but in a good way. Alas, when I quit eating wheat (cuz of allergies), that curtailed just about all baked goods for me. I rarely miss anything, as I wasn't much of a baked goods eater anyway, but every now and then, I do get a craving for homemade donuts. I'd love to hear how they turn out if you make some!

8:11 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Thank you all so much for the feedback on this past week's roundup! Glad I could post all these interesting articles, and thanks for the encouragement on the donuts, Deb! :)

Best wishes,
Laura

10:48 PM  
Blogger DorianTB said...

Laura, this summer our little family has been so ridiculously busy (primarily for positive reasons, not to put the whammy on it :-)), so it was nice to get a chance to catch up with what's going on "Around the Blogosphere This Week"! I like the idea of THE KING'S SPEECH being adapted into a play, since it originally struck me as great stage material. Looking forward to catching up with everything and everyone -- have a great weekend!

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older