Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Classics on the Big Screen in Los Angeles: August

There are a number of interesting classic films being shown at Los Angeles theaters this month. Here are a few highlights for film fans in Southern California:

...The Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood celebrates Lucille Ball's August 6th centennial with a double bill on Thursday evening, August 4th.

The Egyptian will show THE LONG, LONG TRAILER (1954), costarring Desi Arnaz and directed by Vincente Minnelli, followed by the excellent film noir THE DARK CORNER (1946), also starring Mark Stevens and Clifton Webb. THE DARK CORNER was directed by Henry Hathaway.

If I didn't already have theater tickets that evening, that's a double bill which would really tempt me to make the drive up to the Egyptian. THE DARK CORNER is a terrific film.

More details on the screenings and additional celebrations of the Ball centennial are available from Susan King in the Los Angeles Times.

...The Egyptian is teaming with its sister theater, the Aero in Santa Monica, to celebrate the centennial of director Nicholas Ray, who was born August 7, 1911.

This brief series is titled Lonely Places: A Nicholas Ray Centennial.

The Egyptian will be showing REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE (1955) on Wednesday evening, August 3rd.

This Friday the Aero will host a double bill of JOHNNY GUITAR (1954) and IN A LONELY PLACE (1950), and the following evening, August 6th, the same theater will show BIGGER THAN LIFE (1956) and KNOCK ON ANY DOOR (1949).

...There's a terrific series this month at UCLA's Billy Wilder Theater: Harlow Before the Code will run from August 5th through 27th.

The series launches with HELL'S ANGELS on Friday night, August 5th.

On August 6th there will be a double bill, HOLD YOUR MAN (1933), costarring Clark Gable, and RED-HEADED WOMAN (1933).

Mark Vieira and Darrell Rooney will sign copies of their book HARLOW IN HOLLYWOOD that evening.

Monday, August 8th, Harlow costars with Loretta Young in Frank Capra's PLATINUM BLONDE (1931).

The series continues with the double bill IRON MAN (1931) and RED DUST (1932) on August 14th, GOLDIE (1931) and BOMBSHELL (1933) on August 26th, and concludes with a restored print of THREE WISE GIRLS (1932) on August 27th.

Kenneth Turan has more on the Harlow pre-Code series at the Los Angeles Times.

...The monthly series What is a Western? continues at the Autry with John Sturges' GUNFIGHT AT THE OK CORRAL (1957) on August 13th, starring Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas.

There's also a double bill of Autry films, HEART OF THE RIO GRANDE (1942) and SONS OF NEW MEXICO (1950), playing on August 6th.

As a side note, classic film fans in New England should be sure to check out listings of classic movies playing in Boston this month at Out of the Past. There are some great films playing on the other side of the country; I'd love to see some of the Mankiewicz movies playing at the Harvard Film Archive!

6 Comments:

Blogger Raquel Stecher said...

What an experience it would be to see Rebel Without a Cause in Los Angeles!

Great lineup for August, especially those centennials at the Egyptian.

I'm very jealous that there is a screening of Red-Headed Woman. I wish a theater here would show it. Absolutely one of my top favorite Pre-Codes.

And again, thanks for the link. :-)

10:03 AM  
Blogger DorianTB said...

Laura, you lucky girl, you get to see THE DARK CORNER in a real theater as God intended (the movie gods, at the very least)! :-) I'll be celebrating Lucille Ball's centennial by contributing an "Encore Presentation" of THE DARK CORNER on Tales of the Easily Distracted for True Classics' "Loving Lucy" Blogathon!

5:56 PM  
Blogger Irene said...

Thanks to you I'm now planning to take Metro Rail and go in to Hollywood to see the exhibit at the Hollywood Museum. Lucille Ball was my absolute favorite as a child and young girl/woman. I tried to watch her films back then when they came on TV. I really did love Lucy :) Thank goodness now days for VHS and DVD!

6:15 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I hope I get to see some of the pre-Codes, Raquelle --- I've never seen RED-HEADED WOMAN!

Dorian, my post wasn't worded clearly enough -- I'll be attending a theatrical performance of MARY POPPINS Thursday, so I won't be able to see THE DARK CORNER. I'd sure love to see it on a screen! Thanks for letting us know about the "encore" of your post, it was a good one!

Irene, I'm so delighted to know that the Times article made you aware of the exhibit at the Museum! I think I read that there's something on Jean Harlow there right now, too. I'd love to hear about your trip!!

Best wishes,
Laura

7:57 PM  
Blogger SimpleGifts said...

Hi, Laura - I plan to see a UCLA Archive pre-Code Harlow screening at the Billy Wilder Theater. Which ones will you attend? I'd love to meet you there! Jane

9:04 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hi Jane!

Wouldn't that be fun to meet? I haven't made any definite plans yet to attend one of the Harlow screenings; I'm coordinating around a couple big events this month, including taking our son to college in Arizona. I don't seem to have your email address handy -- if you could drop me a line then I'll be sure to let you know if I'm able to attend a screening this month!

Thanks so much --
Best wishes,
Laura

12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older