Thursday, July 12, 2012

Notable Passings

...I was deeply saddened this morning to learn of the passing of DVD reviewer Barrie Maxwell.

Barrie was a longtime writer for the Digital Bits website, where I've read his Classic Coming Attractions column for roughly a decade.

Barrie always communicated both deep knowledge and a real love for movies, and his enthusiasm often interested me in trying various films. His opinion on the quality of a DVD was enough to give me confidence to make the purchase.

Barrie's genial personality came through in his writing, as it also did on the couple occasions we exchanged personal emails over the years.

Barrie had been battling brain cancer, and he passed away on Tuesday. He was 64.

A sad, sad loss. I will very much miss Barrie and his columns. My sincere condolences to his wife and family, as well as his colleagues at the Digital Bits.

...Famed cookbook author Marion Cunningham has died at the age of 90.

Cunningham's books THE FANNIE FARMER COOKBOOK and THE FANNIE FARMER BAKING BOOK are both on my cookbook shelves, and she wrote many others.

The Los Angeles Times, the San Francisco Chronicle, and New York Times have published detailed obituaries.

Cunningham had a very interesting life, making great contributions to American cooking and the preservation of classic recipes.

1 Comments:

Blogger barrylane said...

Re Barrie Maxwell

All that you write seemed so to me. Loved what he had to say and the way he went about it.

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older