Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Schedule Announced for 15th Annual Noir City: Hollywood Festival

The schedule for the 15th Annual Noir City Festival in Hollywood was announced at the end of last week!

This year's festival opens on Friday, April 5th, and runs 13 nights, ending on Sunday, April 21st.

As usual, the festival will be held at the Egyptian Theatre on Hollywood Boulevard, with the exception of a 3D double bill scheduled for the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica on Saturday, April 20th.

My husband and I have tickets for opening night; I can't quite believe I'm going to watch the ultra-intense TRY AND GET ME (1950) again so soon after seeing it at UCLA, but I wanted to be there for the first evening of the festival, as I have been for the last couple of years, and I especially want to see the second film of the night, HELL DRIVERS (1957), on a big screen. HELL DRIVERS has an amazing cast including Patrick McGoohan, Sean Connery, Stanley Baker, David McCallum, William Hartnell (DR. WHO), Herbert Lom, Gordon Jackson (UPSTAIRS, DOWNSTAIRS), Peggy Cummins, and Jill Ireland. Like TRY AND GET ME, it was directed by Cy Endfield.

On April 6th the double bill is SUNSET BLVD. (1950) and THE OTHER WOMAN (1954); the latter film stars Cleo Moore. I'm not likely to attend that evening, but I've ordered tickets for Sunday, April 7th, when I'm really looking forward to the chance to see REPEAT PERFORMANCE (1947) one more time, followed by the fantastic opportunity to see HE WALKED BY NIGHT (1948) on a big screen.

I'm sure I'll be attending several other nights, though plans aren't yet finalized; several of the titles below are absolute "musts" for me to see on a big screen, including a brand-new print struck for the festival of the haunting Cornell Woolrich story NIGHT HAS A THOUSAND EYES; APPOINTMENT WITH A SHADOW, directed by actor Richard Carlson; Zachary Scott in GUILTY BYSTANDER; and THE KILLERS, which I've never seen. How great to watch it for the first time in 35mm!

Here's the second two weeks of the schedule, with links provided to past reviews at this site:

*HOUSE BY THE RIVER (1950) and SECRET BEYOND THE DOOR (1948) on April 10th

*THE CASE AGAINST BROOKLYN (1958) and CITY ACROSS THE RIVER (1949) on April 11th

*STREET OF CHANCE (1942) and NIGHT HAS A THOUSAND EYES (1948) on April 12th

*HIGH TIDE (1947) and CHICAGO CALLING (1951) on April 13th

*APPOINTMENT WITH A SHADOW (1957) and GUILTY BYSTANDER (1950) on the 14th

*CRY OF THE CITY (1948) and THE KILLERS (1946) on April 17th

*THE UNDERCOVER MAN (1949) and SO DARK THE NIGHT (1948) on April 18th

*NATIVE SON (1951) and NO WAY OUT (1950) on April 19th

*MAN IN THE DARK (1953) and INFERNO (1953), both shown in 3D at the Aero Theatre on April 20th

*ROAD HOUSE (1948) on closing night, April 21st

After the Noir City Festival ends, there are still more great movies ahead for classic film fans in Southern California, as the TCM Classic Film Festival returns to Hollywood April 25th through 28th.

Posts on past Noir City Festivals: First Preview of 14th Annual Noir City Film Festival; Schedule Announced for Noir City 14 in Hollywood; Final Week of Noir City 14 Schedule Announced; A Visit to the 14th Annual Noir City Film Festival (2012); A Visit to the 13th Noir City Film Festival (2011); A Visit to the Noir City Film Festival (2010).

April 3 Update: Susan King has more on the festival at the Los Angeles Times.

Update: A Visit to the 15th Annual Noir City Film Festival.

8 Comments:

Blogger Vienna said...

It all sounds wonderful, you lucky Californians!
Have a great time,Laura and keep reporting!

1:25 AM  
Blogger dfordoom said...

Hell Drivers is a great little movie. Not sure that it really qualifies as noir, but it's one of those gritty British movies of that era.

2:41 AM  
Blogger Raimundo said...

April at the Egyptian is one of the film highlights of the year for every cinephile; there's more noir fun at the New Beverly on March 26-27, with 35mm prints of "Dark Corner" and "Dark Passage".

A friend at the UCLA screening of "Gun Crazy" pointed out the scene of Bart buying an Albuquerque newspaper; it was filmed to the left of the Egyptian looking south on Las Palmas, towards the still-standing Korean church.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

We're very fortunate, Vienna!

Thanks for the feedback on HELL DRIVERS, dfordoom. Looking forward to checking it out.

Raimundo, last year I saw GUN CRAZY at the Egyptian for the TCM Festival and it was funny to think that that newsstand scene was filmed yards from where I was sitting to watch it! Thanks much for sharing the news about the noir playing at the New Beverly this month.

Best wishes,
Laura

1:54 PM  
Blogger Lasso The Movies said...

What a great lineup! I just watched "Road House" last night and enjoyed the cinematography so much I actually commented that I needed a bigger TV. I suppose a theater screen would be big enough.

4:01 PM  
Blogger redcon1 said...

Lucky you! Been wanting to see "Repeat Performance" ever since reading its synopsis last year. Do you know if there's a chance of a DVD release in the near future. Might be the only way to see it as it doesn't seem a Noir City Festival will be coming to St. Louis soon.

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HELL DRIVERS is terrific, but I'm partial to movies to old movies about trucks.

7:57 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Hope I get to see ROAD HOUSE, Paul, I've only seen that one on DVD and love it.

Redcon1, I haven't heard anything about a DVD release of REPEAT PERFORMANCE but I sure hope there is one. I saw it earlier this month at UCLA and am happy for the chance to see such a rare film again along with HE WALKED BY NIGHT. Already have my ticket to that screening! :) Really wish there were a way for Noir City to spread to more cities for fans like you!!

Toby, we're really looking forward to checking out HELL DRIVERS. Read my husband the cast list and he was pretty amazed -- even a DR. WHO! LOL. Like you, I enjoy trucking movies. ALASKA PASSAGE, TRUCK BUSTERS, and THEY DRIVE BY NIGHT are some of my faves off the top of my head.

Best wishes,
Laura

8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older