Thursday, January 14, 2016

88th Annual Academy Award Nominations

The 88th annual Academy Award nominations were announced this morning.

The complete list of nominees is here.

I've paid fairly little attention to the Oscars in recent years, but I must say I was quite pleased by the Best Picture and especially Best Actress nomination for BROOKLYN (2015), which I reviewed in November.

Saoirse Ronan was captivating as an Irish immigrant in 1950s New York. She faces stiff competition, but if nothing else I hope the nominations will lead to BROOKLYN having a wider theatrical release and more viewers becoming aware of this charming film.

I was also very happy that Sylvester Stallone received a Best Supporting Actor nomination for CREED (2015), which I reviewed in December. It was a surprisingly well-done extension of the ROCKY franchise, and Stallone was outstanding playing Rocky Balboa, 40 years on from ROCKY (1976). I wrote in my review that such a nomination would be well deserved.

Personally, I would have included THE FORCE AWAKENS (2015) on the slate of Best Picture nominees, but although the original STAR WARS (1977) was nominated, I think I stopped taking the Oscars seriously when THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (1980) didn't receive a nomination for Best Picture. EMPIRE is, in my opinion, one of the really great movies ever made, with every aspect of filmmaking and storytelling being 100% perfect; it's a classic which I suspect has stood the test of time far better than that year's Best Picture winner (ORDINARY PEOPLE). In any event, given Oscar history, it's no surprise to me that THE FORCE AWAKENS didn't make the list.

Winners will be announced February 28th.

Previously: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015. There was no Oscar post in 2009.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:48 AM  
Blogger dickson said...

I do not care about the Academy Awards any more. Since they started televising
them for the 1952 awards I always watched. 20 some years ago, I would tape them
and watch later, then I could fast forward thru the boring parts. Now I read
about them on the internet. The only good ones were for the 70th and the 75 awards
where they had a lot of the former winners. They were great. Now, nothing.

dickson

7:26 AM  
Blogger Lady American said...

Hi Laura.
I'm starting to feel the same way about not paying attention to the Academy Awards (or The Oscars as they now refer it these days in order to make it relevant, particularly the millennials). Maybe because it is the lack of diversity LAST year and THIS year (20 WHITE nominees!!!) or because it so predictable and long these days!!!! Regarding the lack of diversity, it is disappointing and embarrassing and Spike Lee said he wasn't going because of it!!!! Hell, I might not watch it this year because of it and Chris Rock--not a favorite of mine. I'm might watch Lawrence of Arabia that night. Your thoughts?

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older