Saturday, April 15, 2017

The 2017 TCM Classic Film Festival: Day Two

Day Two of the TCM Classic Film Festival began bright and early with breakfast at Mel's with Raquel and KC. It was great to have the chance for a quiet catch-up with both ladies ahead of a busy day!


After breakfast Raquel went to work on her preparation for the evening's red carpet interviews, which she participated in for the second year in a row, while KC and I headed for Larry Edmunds Cinema Bookshop. Larry Edmunds has been my favorite bookstore since I was a very young film fan.


This year's festival book haul from Larry Edmunds: The first volume of Douglas Fairbanks Jr.'s memoirs; a book on location filming at Iverson Ranch; and a book of Western quotes which I found special as it had many beautiful glossy photos from Westerns which were completely new to me.


While I'm at it, here's the TCM mug I brought home from the souvenir shop!


KC and I also spent time Thursday morning exploring the treasures on display in Club TCM at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel.


There was some very special Disney artwork on one wall, including this Eyvind Earle design for SLEEPING BEAUTY (1959):


There were also gorgeous posters everywhere...



...and while we were there KC agreed to be interviewed by TCM staff. She did a terrific job. You never know, part of her interview may turn up in one of the between-movie featurettes or ads at some point!


There was a very special display of three Debbie Reynolds costumes in Club TCM, including her outfit from "Good Morning" in SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (1952):


The texture of her top was completely different from what I expected based on the movie; it's a wool sweater.


Also on display were two of Reynolds' gowns from THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN (1964).



We didn't sit in the bleachers for red carpet arrivals this year, as our first movie started a little earlier than the last couple of years and the timing didn't work out. This is a view of the front of the Chinese Theatre from across Hollywood Boulevard. Raquel is in a bright orange dress in the center left of the picture!


Don Rickles' death had been announced that day, and we passed this tribute at his Walk of Fame star as we made our way to the Egyptian Theatre. When I heard the news it occurred to me that Rickles' good friend Bob Newhart might cancel his planned Sunday appearance at the festival, and indeed, that's what happened. Sincere condolences to Rickles' family and friends.


I spent the evening at the Egyptian, where I had recently spent so much time enjoying the Noir City Film Festival! My first film of the festival was a 35mm print of the William Powell-Myrna Loy comedy LOVE CRAZY (1941), introduced by past TCM guest host Dana Delany.


For me LOVE CRAZY has always been a mid-range Powell-Loy film, pretty good but not a favorite; as with many comedies, seeing it with an audience really amplified the funny moments and brought out the humor in Loy's reactions to the crazy goings on. It was a great way to start the festival.


Thursday afternoon there had been a special last-minute announcement that Martin Scorsese would be at the Egyptian in person to introduce the first of four nitrate prints screened at the festival, Hitchcock's original 1934 version of THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH.


Although most of Scorsese's films aren't my thing, I have great respect for his work on behalf of film preservation, so seeing him in person rhapsodizing on the wonders of nitrate was, in a word, cool.


Beth Accomando, a regular attendee at the festival, filed a story on the festival and nitrate film with NPR's Morning Edition.

The most notable aspect of seeing THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH on nitrate was the deep, rich black, which was simply beautiful to behold. It was my first time to see the film -- and my second new-to-me Hitchcock in a couple week's time! -- so I felt especially fortunate being introduced to it in that format.


Edna Best received a big round of applause in her heroic moment at the end of the movie! I was interested that the applause was unexpected for my friend Diana, who was seeing classic films in L.A. for the first time.

For some reason that second Thursday evening time slot has always been a challenge for me at the festival, and I faded out a bit mid-film, so I hope to get the DVD in the next Criterion flash sale and fill in the bits of story I missed.

Coming soon: A recap of Day Three, a wonderful day of new discoveries.

4 Comments:

Blogger Raquel Stecher said...

It was so nice spending time with you that morning especially since we didn't get to see each other much during the festival. I love going to Larry Edmund's. Definitely a must. I skipped a screening in the middle to go. Very cool about KC being filmed!

1:51 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

It really was great to have that time, Raquel!

I love that you love Larry Edmunds that much. :) When I was a young film fan and saved up my spending money, visiting felt something akin to going to Disneyland. It still feels that way when I walk in the door!

Hope we get to see KC on TCM! It's been so much fun seeing you in this year's festival commercial.

Best wishes,
Laura

9:40 AM  
Blogger KC said...

I am so glad I dragged myself out of bed for breakfast! Fun to remember this more laidback day. Kind of spaced on the camera crew thing. Trying to remember if I mentioned it in any of my posts? Now I'm curious to know if they'll use anything. Didn't they film Diana too? I felt so silly doing it at the time, but I guess they know what they need.

7:53 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I'm glad you did also! That was a fun time together.

I don't remember if they filmed Diana...I'll be watching for you and/or her on TCM, you never know, maybe you'll turn up like Raquel did in the ad before this year's fest! :)

Best wishes,
Laura

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older