Friday, July 12, 2019

Quick Preview of TCM in October

Turner Classic Movies released its preview of the channel's October schedule this week!

The October Star of the Month is Paul Muni. Over 18 Muni films will be shown spread across Monday evenings in October.

There are two TCM Spotlight series in October. Wednesdays will feature "Short & Sweet," spotlighting movies with short running times, while Thursdays will focus on horror movies.

"Short & Sweet" is really my kind of series! I've previously seen countless titles featured in the lineup, including pre-Codes, Westerns, and romantic comedies. It's a highly entertaining selection of films.

October's Noir Alley films are TRAPPED (1949), CLASH BY NIGHT (1952), THIS GUN FOR HIRE (1942), and FORCE OF EVIL (1948).

TRAPPED was restored by UCLA and has been playing the film noir festival circuit this year; I was fortunate to see it at both Noir City Hollywood and the Arthur Lyons Film Noir Festival in Palm Springs. Given that I watched it twice in about six weeks, I definitely recommend it!

I don't care for CLASH BY NIGHT, but I'm delighted to see THIS GUN FOR HIRE, an Alan Ladd film from Paramount, make the schedule. I've never seen FORCE OF EVIL so I'm also looking forward to that one.

Filmmakers receiving multifilm tributes in October include Katharine Hepburn, George Stevens, Gene Tierney, Ethel Waters, Marilyn Monroe, Russ Tamblyn, Jean Arthur, Julie Andrews, Walter Huston, the Marx Brothers, William Powell and Myrna Loy, and Ozzie and Harriet Nelson.

Godzilla will be featured in multiple titles as "Monster of the Month." Additional October themes include Shakespeare, country hicks, movies with the name Eve in the title, and "rags to riches." And as usual, there are plenty of spooky films airing in honor of Halloween.

A final note, I'm especially excited TCM is showing an Irene Dunne film released by Universal Pictures, IT GROWS ON TREES (1952). It was her final feature film. Dean Jagger, Joan Evans, and Richard Crenna costar. (September 2019 Update: It appears this title has possibly been pulled from TCM's final schedule.)

I'll have additional information about the October schedule posted here around the end of September.

In the meantime, Glenn Ford continues as the July Star of the Month, with Summer Under the Stars scheduled in August and Sidney Poitier slated to be the September Star of the Month.

September 2019 Update: For much more on TCM in October 2019, please visit TCM in October: Highlights.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lady American said...

Paul Muni should be interesting as SOTM!! I know the name but not much of his films!!! I was going to predict Bette Davis would get SOTM since October would mark the 30the anniversary of her death. Anyway, Paul Muni will be interesting!! Thank you for what you do Laura!!

8:10 PM  
Blogger Caftan Woman said...

I so adore Paul Muni, and I always look forward to the Hallowe'en pictures. Short and sweet is right down my alley as well. This will be fun, although doesn't it feel as if this year is slipping away even more quickly than last - which was speedy enough?

5:28 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

It's definitely an interesting month on TCM! Truth to tell I've never been much of a Muni fan, but perhaps I'll see something to change my mind about him -- and it's a wonderful month for viewers who enjoy him!

The "short and sweet" films are *so* much fun. (And so true, Caftan Woman, I can't believe we're talking about an October schedule!)

Lady American, thank you for the kind and encouraging words!!

Best wishes,
Laura

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer›  ‹Older